Barton to UT.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, May 26, 2013.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Leadership from the point is obviously essential. The winningest Tennessee team of all time is proof positive. Ramar Smith's leadership was essential to their success.

2. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

Lots of people keep commenting about how Barton is the perfect fit to get Tennessee over the top. I don't get it. He's serviceable, but probably the least talented of the starting unit. I don't think he's bad, but there's a reason why he couldn't beat out players for time at Memphis. I will say that it was an important pickup due to the lack of depth and experience that Tennessee has at the guard position.

3. hatvol96

The stunning thing is that people keep passing him off as a point guard. He's just not. He'll be a decent defender and compete. That'll help, but people expecting him to him to be a real lead guard are going to be sorely disappointed. Nobody seemed to notice that Maryland and A&M both had guys who would have played ahead of him at the point. The only places he was going to have a legit chance of starting at were UT and K State, since each of them lost their point guard to dismissal or transfer.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Could you quote where I said I was worried about future success? If not, go **** yourself with a boat anchor.

5. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

He can dribble with his left hand. That's where floor generals excel. Glad we traded Trae for an ambidextrous Memphian.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Floor Generals throw chairs. They don't dribble.

7. PoochPunt3rdDown

True. But, we never got to use the left side of the floor with Trae, apparently, so Barton will exploit that erstwhile weakness, and free the other 4 guys up to work the right side, and being that they are all right handed, their ability to dodge chairs on the right side will isolate Barton for spot up jumpers from the left wing. It's all physics and philosophy. I can't believe you understand.

8. PoochPunt3rdDown

He pulled the trigger on so many shots for that team, it's no wonder his legacy is the ammunition he provided Tyler to become such a close up sharpshooter. Arming that team that had so many weapons with bullet passes, like laser guided projectiles, really makes him stand out as our best floor general.

9. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Barton will be 2nd team all-SEC.

10. PoochPunt3rdDown

Then we have the best record in the SEC and finally win the SEC Tourney. There are 5 other players on our team in front of him on the 1 st and 2nd teams. Jordy, Maymon, Stokes, Hubbs and Rich. You don't really believe this, do you? I'm the eternal optimist, but your statement has no basis in reality.

11. PoochPunt3rdDown

Give us a projected season long stat line to support this assertion. 10 ppg, 5 assists, 1.5 tos, __ rebounds? Steals?

12. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

"What is irritating at that any success to be had next year will be attributed to him, rather than the rest of the team".

That's your whiny ass comment. Irritated that hypothetically, Barton may get props over the team if we win. Like it ****ing matters.

13. hatvol96

Highly unlikely.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Irritation is not synonymous with worry. Even more damning, being irritated with mouth-breathers interpreting events through their feces-smeared prism of idiocy really has nothing to do with the team itself at all.

15. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

Barton should be good enough that Cuonzo and this team have no excuses for failing to have a good year.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm sticking to the hatvol rule of thumb that by year 3, excuses are irrelevant (short of probation years or the like).

17. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I can get onboard with this rule.

btw, I like to think that when people say Barton is the piece that puts us over the top, they mean that Barton is the piece that allows us to not play Brandon Lopez at the point. Honestly, I'm fine with a defensive upgrade, an outside shooter, and a ball-handling by committee approach as long as we practice the hell out of getting it up the court against a press (and succeed in learning how to do it)

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Kemba Walker certainly did just that pretty recently.

19. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I don't understand why breaking the press is so damned hard. We teach this to my 5th grade girls team. Everyone on the floor has to be aware that a press is on, know where they're supposed to be and the ball handler has to get their damned head up and look for the correct pass and his teammates need to get themselves open to receive it. You break the press with passes not dribbling/fumbling through it. Slow white Boston Celtics used to kill teams with two-three quick passes down the court with the last pass a simple catch and lay up.

20. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Replacing Tyler Mcthreefor20 should be enough to get this team in the tournament.