Butch responds to Haney

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

IP, I know that, and you know that and everyone with two functioning brain cells to rub together knows that but apparently the Ivory Tower Eggheads at UT still seem to think if they can just squelch any sort of athletic achievement that future Nobel winners and current Rhodes scholars will flock to Knoxville knowing they won't have to suffer being sullied or encumbered by nimrods shouting things like "Go Big Orange" or singing songs about mountaintops that include words like "Woooo!!!"...

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I suspect they know it too but it's a way to get more $$ out of Nashville into their pockets.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

That's what I've always thought about this Top 25 university business

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Yes, bad timing. Butch would have to force it to get fired before next year sometime.

5. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Would a terrible bowl performance play in?

Is the timing not good based on where we are in the year? How much time is left until signing day with a new coach coming in? Finding the right guy in a short amount of time? I'm just trying to understand why we wait until next year.

6. Savage Orange

Apparently it never seems to occur to them that it's not either/or but rather both/and. Having successful athletics AND high academics aren't mutually exclusive. It's not easy, but neither is it impossible. UT, by it's very nature and history will never be a challenger to any Stanford, Duke, Northwestern or any school like that but there's no reason Tennessee can't be what Georgia is academically. Georgia used to be easy as pie to get into (I ought to know, as I was an awful student in high school in the 80's and STILL qualified to get in) but now you almost have to have an appointment from the governor to get admitted.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

Probably because of the lottery stuff. UT is about like that now.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Bad timing is it. She comes on campus in March. They may wait until then to officially hire Hart's replacement.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, it's stupid.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It may very well be March or April until the new AD is officially hired.

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

A rudderless ship. That's the Tennessee way...

12. Savage Orange

That may play in but now everybody and their brother are competing to go there. Just having good grades or test scores isn't enough. You have to be bringing something else to the table (or be a legacy) to even be considered. It's actually easier to get into Tech now than UGa. A lot of kids are going to Georgia Southern or Valdosta State because they couldn't make it into UGa. That's just crazy, imo.

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

UT has higher ACT scores than Georgia and everyone else in the SEC but Vandy as of a few years ago. I don't think that's changed. Academic ranking is more about whether you hire top researchers or not, and UGA spends more money on them than Tennessee. I have no problem with that. A more balanced approach between research and teaching a lot of times results in a better education for students. At the higher ranked schools you actually have a lower percentage of classes being taught by people with a PhD in their field.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Why is that crazy? Should they increase the size of the student body?

15. JohnnyQuickkick

Not when they can increase tuition!

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

OK, but there are other choices as SO said.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Flagship state school is still a much better bargain than most private colleges unless there is insane financial aid involved.

18. AbeFroman

AbeFroman Member

It seems pretty simple to me, nobody who can do something about it cares at all. There are plenty of excuses like timing, people not being in place...but if they actually gave a crap they could make it happen pretty quickly.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

I was being somewhat facetious.

Truth is, there's so many more applicants now they gotta do something to limit them and tuition is just one way to do it.

20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Georgia gets a lot of Georgia Tech overflow.