Cal '06 or UCLA '08?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, Aug 19, 2012.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I also agree with the sentiments that this NC St team isn't as good as Cal 06, and that the 08 UCLA team was so crummy you just knew we were in for a long year.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I like their food. Pretty sure they've upgraded their tv's.

3. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Thanks, I didn't know about this place till a couple weeks ago.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Doubt ncstate has such a lousy big game coach. No offense, but that cal team should have won by 2 tds. Literally something like 15 future nfl players on that team

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  5. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

There Dfense has some rotation and depth issues that it has not had in over a decade. The starters are solid.

6. IrrationalUTfan

IrrationalUTfan New Member

NC State is defiantly not as good of a team as Cal 06, but that being said a win on the 31st IMO, would be a much bigger win than Cal 06. This team needs something good to happen, a win would provide a wealth of confidence for a team that has been beat down consistently through the last few years. A win over UF 2 weeks after a loss on the 31st would still be amazing, but winning against UF as an undefeated team up to that point would undoubtedly place UT back as a relevant program.

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

It would put them on the path back to relevancy. I wouldn't say they are relevant again after three games against two mediocre teams and an FCS school.

8. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

They'd be ranked. That would be a nice change of pace.

9. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Unfortunately I'm feeling '08 UCLA...I think UT has more talent overall and should be the better team, but I don't feel good about this game at all. Maybe it's the GA Dome + mediocre ACC team combo, but I think a way to lose will be found.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  10. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

If we can get 100-150 on the ground against Florida, our running game is strong enough to win 9 games minimum. Florida is the 4th toughest team on the schedule.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Reminds me of the Peach Bowl vs. Maryland. And Clemson.

12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Are you saying that '06 Cal, who was trailing 35-3 after three quarters, should have beaten Tennessee by 2 TDs?

You serious, Clark?

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

On paper, Cal should have. You had Marsalous Johnson keeping DeSean Jackson in check, which is like the time Art Evans made AJ Green his [itch bay], it's just not something that should happen.

14. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

We came out in the Cal game far more physical. That is what it is about. That is the current problem with our team. They do not want to hit or be hit.

15. here to lurk

here to lurk Hidden Member

I remember being at a UNC game that day, I remember getting score updates on my phone.....it seemed like every 4 or 5 mins we had put up another td. i remember thinking how shocked I was at that score. That was most def not how a lot of people expected that game to go.

as an aside, I also remember being in Knoxville 2 weeks later for the Florida game, the ovation that Justin Harrell got when he came on the field was the loudest that I have ever heard it there. I could feel my insides shaking.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

guys on that roster who probably played decent minutes (current nfl team is from memory so may have some mistakes):

alualu (starting dlineman for detriot), bishop (starting mlb green bay packers), de la puenta (starting olineman for cinci?), alex mack (starting center for cleveland, pro bowler), decoud (safety, first or second string for falcons), follet (would have been starting lb for detriot, but had a career ending injury), forsett (was second string rb for seattle), hawkins (WR on titans), desean jackson, marshawn lynch, brandon mebane (starting dtackle for seattle), mike tepper (last time i checked on an nfl roster), squid thompson (backup db for the colts i think),

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

For this particular game I am gonna go with "springboard to saving a coach's job".

However. Its gonna take a sustained effort for the whole season to achieve the ultimate result.

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I have been to may games up there, with that one being in the weird category. The whole week leading up to the game UT needed a miracle to pull the game off. 2 hours before the game you got the feeling that even the Cal fans were not sure what was going to happen.

The opening kick off told the tale.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I was at the game. it was louder than any game i've ever seen. Our guys were pooping their pants. It was a flat out egg laid by cal. the only guy who showed up for that game was desmond bishop. no way that team should have lost 3 games.

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Just for comparison, what are some other stadiums you've gone to? I know you've been to Autzen.