Coach Martin

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Volguy1971, Mar 23, 2014.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't see it either, I just wish he was a great coach because he's a great guy

2. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I'm sorry smartass! Do you celebrate when Tennessee doesn't play well?

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

No but I sure as hell don't suffer. It's a game.

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Watching Tennessee athletics = suffering. It makes sense to me.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

You make it sound so simple. I die a little inside.

6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I do for football. Basketball has zero effect on me.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Happy for the Vos, but I'm still not sure proving your team is capable of making the Sweet Sixteen doesn't just make losses to A&M and Vandy even worse.

8. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

It kinda does, but being able to go on this run points to the players might finally be getting what Counzo has been teaching them. Either way, go Vols and keep proving me wrong.

9. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

Something has clicked. Whether the players finally bought in, they leveraged negative fan reactions to an "us against the world" mentality, or Martin figured everything out, etc. It is all working right now. This team should set the standard for what can be done when the guys play up to their potential.

I am happy for coach Martin. He is a great guy and I hope this is the beginning of him coming into his own. I really wonder if we didn't hire the guy a few years earlier than he was really ready for a job with this much pressure and at this high of a level. I hope he gives this conference and the nation hell for years to come. I won't be fully sold until UT turns in a season under him where they start trying before February, but in the moment, I don't give a shit why this is happening. I'll just enjoy it.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If this team plays with the intensity they have since March 1 consistently, Cuonzo can stay here as long as he wants because it will start to roll and we'll have a nice multi-year run. This has been a total 180 from the vast majority of his first 2 3/4 seasons here and I love it.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It seems like every season there's a spurt where we play hard-nosed and won't get pushed around by anybody. Then a couple of weeks later we are sleepwalking and lose against a conference bottomfeeder.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

12 losses is ample evidence of atrocious coaching.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Finally getting it? These guys have been with him for 3 years.

14. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

I'm just trying to come up with ways to explain the run, maybe it is just a case of the sun finally shining on a dog's ass.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Inside out, less McRae, nice matchups that can't exploit PG problems, kill the boards. This team would have lost about 5 games with a little emphasis on its strengths rather than allowing the McRae show.

16. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

You said it. At some point PG play will doom us. If Louisville & UT win that could be the game that it's heavily exploited. Would be interesting seeing L'Ville's little guards vs UT's length.

17. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

And let's not forget our tourney run consists of wins over an 11 seed, a 14 seed, and UMASS. I'm loving this run so far, but if we get bent over by Michigan, this shouldn't buy him another 5 years.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

The job is to beat who's in front of you

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

UMass was pretty bad. I think we bend Duke over about as much as we did Mercer.

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

That would have been fun to watch.