College Basketball 2016/17

Discussion in 'Sports' started by The Dooz, Nov 12, 2016.

1. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Prediction: Duke gets a 1 seed, followed by a nationwide meltdown about how the committee is "rigged"

2. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Not a whole lot to get upset about overall with the bracket. Didn't like a couple seeds but very minor. Nice job.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It is who he is.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Sorry but I'm not using that as a reason to excuse away this sorry ass behavior anymore. It's sad to see him waste away his legacy.

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

How is this different than a million other things he's done over the years?

He's been one of the biggest assholes on the planet for his entire life. It doesn't diminish his legacy that, after his retirement, he remains one of the biggest assholes on the planet. JMO.

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

It's like he never knew Bob Knight. Guy is who he is and always will be. I'm a huge fan and always will be.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Are we talking about how great of a coach he was, or how big of an asshole he is?

His continued grudge against IU absolutely is diminishing his legacy.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

So because I'm not longer willing to make excuses for his behavior, I don't know who he is?

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

He's been the same person. You said it yourself you made excuses for it. He hasn't changed a bit, so I don't see how his legacy has changed

10. cotton

The guy headbutted a player, stuffed a fan in a trashcan, and shit in the middle of the floor during practice.

How is being a grumpy old man diminishing his legacy?

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I didn't know two of those three things

12. cotton

It doesn't really matter. There are thousands of others. He was a great basketball coach and a grade A jerk for his entire life. The fact that he's a grade A jerk after he is no longer a basketball coach doesn't really change anything in my eyes.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/10/

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...isgrace-but-what-he-said-friday-cannot-slide/

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He has always been this way. Why wait so long.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

16. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

My hs coaches used to tell the crap in the middle of practice floor story about huggs. Urban legend or true?

17. cotton

It predates Huggs, who is also a jerk, by decades. I have no proof about that incident.

A bunch of others are well documented. Here's a partial list:

http://www.chron.com/sports/college...of-incidents-involving-Bob-Knight-1849372.php

The guy's an asshole. He'd probably tell you he's an asshole. He won a bunch of championships being an asshole. There are a bunch of people who will tell you that playing under that asshole has made them stronger, better, more successful people. None of that makes him any less of an asshole. So I guess I'm just a little shocked that people think that being an asshole damages his legacy.

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

My take.

BK's work or legacy as a coach speaks for itself. His work and legacy as a person speaks for itself as well good and bad.

If (and Im not really that sold) his legacy is taking a hit by his words and actions post IU, its his to tarnish or destroy. Im not sure why anyone would care if thats what he chose to do (assuming that it is making a difference)

I think he was an excellent basketball coach and a turd all in the same. I guess there are some things that could make him more a turd in the aftermath but its not like everyone would forget the last 30 years of antics because he come back to IU with his hat in his hand ready for a peacful end.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's an as hole. He was an ass hole when he won a national title for Indiana and he's an ass hole now.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I'll still take a pass.

It's easy to sit from the outside and dismiss it as RMK just being RMK. However, for IU people, it's not that easy. It's not just this one incident. This is the culmination of what was laid out in the article- the slights, the refusal to come back when his players are honored (and they ask him to), the hope that he would one day show up, so the fans could honor him like they are dying to. So his players could stand with him and be honored.

Look, if wants to be a [penis], be a [penis]. I just said I'm done defending him. I appreciate what he did, but I'll be moving on.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017