POLITICS Democratic Nominee 2020 Lollapalooza

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, Feb 6, 2019.

?

Who will win the Democratic nomination for president in 2020?

1. Biden, J

42.1%
  2. Booker, C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Buttigieg, P

15.8%
  4. Castro, J

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Clinton, H

15.8%
  6. Harris, K

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Klobuchar, A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sanders, B

10.5%
  9. Warren, E

15.8%
  10. Yang, A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I in no way intended to showcase any accomplishments. anyone who has spoken with me on post HS education knows I have some pointed criticisms and low opinions of it, generally.

I chose Tennessee because it was close to home, familiar, and was the most affordable 4 year public school after scholarships. at the time, I didn't even think to apply to schools that hadn't recruited me because I knew I couldn't afford to go anywhere full price.

had I a more involved guidance source at the HS or a parent who went to college, I would have applied to more schools. but then again, between standardized test fees and application fees, I'd already spent hundreds of dollars applying to and qualifying for schools. for me at 16 and 17, that was a lot of money. this was before any lottery or community college grant.

So UT was 25 min away and I already had a job within walking distance of campus. ETSU was 2 hours away, and at that time the prices were only marginally different. I also didn't know what I wanted to do and UT had the broadest offerings. the irresponsible football school choice in 2002 was Miami, which I had been accepted to but didn't go due to cost.

and don't get it twisted, I paid for and continue to pay for my student debt and expect nothing and am asking for nothing in terms of forgiveness, personally.

It isnt about wanting everything to be free a la cart. it's recognizing that the barrier for normal people from less than perfect families is becoming increasingly large.

btw, you do get questions/shade for where you get degrees, but it is subtle. and if it isnt ivy league or a California system, you get it. in the eyes of the elite, a degree from a non ivy league may as well be from eastern Europe. I will never get the advantages of a degree from Duke or greater. it doesn't matter that I am just as capable, knowledgable, or that those who trained me were from ivy leagues or Elite schools. this is a tangent, but I just found it striking that you thought anyone outside of the south can distinguish between UT and ETSU.

Tenacious D and kmf600 like this.
  2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I know we live in totally different worlds career wise but I can't say this seems super accurate from my point of view. Maybe I'm off of from you in how I'm defining elite, I don't know.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

it is very possible that your experience and field is different. I'm one guy.

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I guess I'm a bit biased because in what I do you can make big time money if you wanna suffer through the climb, doesn't matter if you went to ETSU or Duke.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

in the private sector degree matters for first job. after that not really

in the public sector, especially research jobs at major universities, you can get the snob effect.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

they church it up with classist rhetoric like "pedigree"

kmf600 and droski like this.
  7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

That's what I was wondering. I talked to a HR person where I worked years ago. He said it's just a checkmark. Does candidate have a degree in the field required? Check mark. But I'm in a different field, wondering if it was really looked down on.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think the higher the degree required, the more it matters.

no one cares if a bachelors is from the university of Phoenix. a PhD from there? you better already have the job you want.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Copy. Makes sense.

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

11. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

Media turning on Biden already?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Trump's too good for ratings.

13. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

Whose?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

everyone's

15. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

Link?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

17. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

Old news. What about recently?

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Look at it, and it should be self-evident.

They don’t make shows and print articles for people to ignore.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it seems like every day there is another one of these:

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Death by 1,000 cuts