Derek and the Dominos

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Oct 28, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

As it has happened before, things are about to change following a loss to the South Carolina Gamecocks. It's been a long time coming, but we're finally about to get what we thought we had four years ago. There are still some things we'll have to endure, but the first domino is about to fall. Before it does, however, let's take a second to crank up the anticipation of what is to be by looking back on what once was.

Four years ago was a turbulent time for Tennessee fans. The University of Alabama had hired one of the best college football coaches of all time and appeared to be building a dynasty as they cruised through the regular season undefeated. The University of Florida stood on the precipice of Urban Meyer's second national championship in four years and didn't look to be relinquishing conference dominance anytime soon. Our once pathetic neighbor to the East, South Carolina, just beat the hell out of Tennessee with our old nemesis Steve Spurrier calling the shots. Longtime coach Phil Fulmer was done and the team's mindset was bad enough to lose to Wyoming. It was the kind of atmosphere that made you wonder if Tennessee would ever again compete with the SEC powerhouses.

Then things started looking up. Talk began of Brian Kelly and Lane Kiffin taking over. Then on December 1st we heard the big news. Lane Kiffin was going to be the head coach. Rumors immediately began swirling. Monte Kiffin was coming, too. Super recruiter Ed Orgeron was in. All kinds of other speculation about the all star coaches that would fill out the UT football staff. Five star recruits were now interested in our 5-7 team. Janzen Jackson was leaving LSU. Bryce Brown thinking of leaving Miami. Marsalis Teague and Nukeese Richardson both were flipping from the Gators. Nick Saban was going to lose Eric Gordon to us. There were other rumors, too. Many too wild to believe, but even some of those materialized. After the slide into mediocrity and the dismal season we'd just witnessed, the big moves of the offseason provided a complete rejuvenation of Volunteer fandom.

November 2008 up to our 2009 kickoff against WKU was the most exciting offseason we've had in forever. I know the Kiffin era didn't play out like we all hoped it would, but think back to that time before you heard the news of his departure. You were fired up. The future belonged to Tennessee. Hope was everywhere (get it?), our rivals weren't unbeatable, no recruit was a pipe dream, and championships were an expectation, not a distant memory. We believed in the program, followed it with an intensity most of us can't imagine right now, and apathy was impossible. Simply put, we cared and had good reason to continue doing so.

Get ready. This offseason is going to be even better. If ever there was a reason to make Tennessee fans believe again, the man we have prepared to take the reins is it. The dominos are lined up, they just haven't started falling yet.

RoadTrip likes this.
  2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes, yes all of this yes.

Be patient, it's coming.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

That first one is about to get flicked downward.

Great post by the way, kpt.

4. robvols

robvols Member

Not great post, GREAT ARTICLE!!!

5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

While there may be some questions about Gruden and his ability to adapt to the college game, I think his ceiling is ridiculously high. I'm just hoping he actually takes the job.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I understand the worry. But relax. Just sit back and enjoy what is about to take place.

7. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

It right around the corner

8. robvols

robvols Member

The college game is a bit simple then the pro game. Just ask Pete Carroll

9. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I'm sure most chefs like to make up their own menu and use their own ingredients. Total control over personal has to appeal to Gruden with no GM, owner or salary dictating who plays.

10. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

After this announcement,SEC coaches will run for cover. Please don't leave will my theme song to them. Saban stay right where you are. Gruden vs. Saban would be
    epic future games.

11. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

After this announcement,SEC coaches will run for cover. Please don't leave will my theme song to them. Saban stay right where you are. Gruden vs. Saban would be
    epic future games.

12. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Please don't go. oops

13. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Nice post, KPT. I believe.

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm getting fired up. Great read kpt.

15. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Nice work, kpt. I'm so fing pumped.

16. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Gruden vs. Saban, orange vs. crimson, Rocky Top vs. Roll Tide in Atlanta for the first time ever, SEC championship and BCS title game on the line. Gets my stomach in knots just thinking about it. Would be incredible.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I need to be cryogenically frozen for a month so I don't explode.

18. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Disagree with all the Kiffin love. Hopefully Gruden comes in and recruits a top 10 class of guys who can keep their noses clean.

20. HypeVol

HypeVol New Member

Any idea when NYY?