Do you root for the SEC?

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by hallowed_hill, Oct 20, 2011.

1. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I have had some heated discussions recently at work on the merit of rooting for the SEC in bowl games, NCG, non-conference, etc. It's a good discussion and an argument worth having. Most of us here are capable of nuanced reasoning and will have caveats to our position. Nonetheless, come down on one side or the other. Are you a root for the SEC guy or not?

1. Definitely not. I'm a Tennessee fan and generally hate or dislike the other teams in the conference. I've rooted against the SEC team in the last five national championship games.

2. I'm not opposed to cheering for the SEC, just don't do it indiscriminately. I hope Alabama and Florida lose every game they play, and I evaluate the others on a case-by-case basis.

I have more to say, but i'll let y'all discuss.

2. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I don't root for other SEC teams. I feel like they're Tennessee's direct competition in recruiting so why should I pull for their success which may sway a guy their way?

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Depends. Some times during bowl season I will. Just depends if they're playing a team I hate worse.

But as a general rule, most the time I want them to lose. Badly.

4. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I definitely fall in line with #2. There are certain situations (except for Alabama and Florida) such as OOC games that I would rather the SEC win because it helps the league.

5. hallowed_hill

I have a soft spot in my heart for South Carolina. Many have said their fans have become insufferable, but I don't have a problem and generally pull for them in bowls and such. I think I empathize with the curse of the chicken.

Arkansas is tolerable for me and I have nothing against the Mississippi schools per se.

6. hallowed_hill

Does the league need any help?

7. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Of course it does. It's nice to be in a league where having 2 losses is just as good as an undefeated season in another conference. That perception is there for a reason...and it starts with the SEC whipping other conferences asses in OOC games.

8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

It wouldn't be that mad if LSU wins the national championship this year.

However, I'd root for Boise over Alabama if they played for the title, and I hate Boise.

9. =rpvol=

=rpvol= Member

it's just flat out hard to pull for alabama in any game, but if they are playing most any team in the big ten i usually can find the strength to do so...

i find myself pulling for the lesser teams in the sec in bowl games or when upsets are present as well.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I root for Bama against Boise, Texas, Clemson, Notre Dame and sometimes Auburn.

That's the only time I can cheer for Bama.

Never for Florida.

11. CD12

CD12 Member

I do root for the SEC during the bowl season with the exception of UGA!

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I guess one could say I "pull" for the SEC, but my reasoning is simple: I don't really respect any other conference in football. If you care about football played at its highest level, the SEC is where its at. Outside of perhaps Penn State, Florida State with Bowden, and USC when they had John McKay, I am not particularly fond of how football is (or was) played elsewhere.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

14. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I do not.

How the conference is perceived nationally doesn't mean anything to mean. I'd still be a fan if the league sucked, because this is where I'm from and where I live. I imagine I'd feel the same if I lived anywhere else in the country.

15. TRUVOL

TRUVOL New Member

I root SEC teams no matter who it is and who they are playing. I'm tired of hearing all these fans out here talking about the big 12 or pac 12. They really don't have respect for sec teams at all out here. They think all they do in the SEC is cheat. Shit that's in every conference.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Auburn and Alabama haven't helped that rep. Neither has Tennessee.

I despise Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky and Vandy. I don't care either way about the Mississippi schools or Arkansas, they're irrelevant. I don't cheer for the SEC so much as I hate Texas, Clemson, Boise and Notre Dame more than Alabama, South Carolina or Kentucky.

The SEC's OOC record speaks for itself. If the dumbass Big 10 people want to talk, laugh at tOSU's record against SEC teams, or Michigan's performance in 2001 against Tennessee, Wisconsin's Outback bowl against Tennessee or what happened when PSU or MSU played Alabama.

PAC 12 teams can't beat teams with a defensive line (see Oregon's last two outings). The best PAC 12 team of the last decade is facing several sanctions due to cheating.

The Big 12 is Texas' [itch bay] and Oklahoma hasn't won a meaningful bowl in forever.

The Big East is irrelevant to football.

The ACC sucks.

So let them talk. You don't have to be a fan of the conference to see that the SEC is better by a pretty good margin overall as a football conference. Even though I'm pointing out how much better the SEC is, I still hope any team without a power T on the helmet loses every game.

17. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

Had an uncle and a few high school coaches that played for South Carolina so I do root for them if at all possible. Lou Holtz made it difficult at times. Otherwise [uck fay] everybody else.

I am man enough to admit that while I despise Bama to the core, I love watching them play football. It is a nice middle finger to all those [ussies pay] that think you can't line up in a pro style offense (no wishbone and spread shit), hit people in the mouth and win at the highest level. We can all be thankful to Saban for that.

18. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

My list of hatred goes:

Notre Dame
    Alabama
    tOSU
    Texas
    Michigan
    Florida
    Georgia
    Oregon
    LSU
    USCe
    Auburn
    Arky

after that, I don't really care. The Mississippis, Vandy and Kentucky don't really matter to me. And since those schools rarely matter come December/January, I rarely pull for the SEC. I couldn't care less about how it makes the SEC look, the history of the SEC speaks for itself.

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I am as "southern pride" as it gets. That said.

I would root for ND, Michigan, Ohio St. and Penn State to win the NC every year as long as Bama (mostly) and UF don't.

The one SEC team that has been successful as of late that I could pull for is LSU, screw the rest.

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Preach it brother. Unfortunately the spread has filtered down to high school football. The last five years, I have probably seen forty different high school teams play and only a handful don't run some version of the spread/zone read. This is over several states by the way.