Does Size (TV) Matter

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by here to lurk, Apr 5, 2015.

1. here to lurk

here to lurk Hidden Member

looking to upgrade from a 32in Sony Bravia. I am thinking of getting 46-48in....as far as I can tell there isn't all that much of a difference that I will be able to notice. I will mostly use the tv for gaming and watching movies/tv via pendrive (ie shit i download)

Brands that I have the option of choosing from are Sony, LG, Samsung and Phillips...leaning towards this guy (http://www.casasbahia.com.br/Eletro...71.html?recsource=busca-int&rectype=busca-370)

the others I have found are around the same size and around the same price. What should I be looking for...will Full HD be that different from 720? Will a 42in tv be that much of a difference from what I am looking at? What about the refresh rate?

Anybody in the know about these things?

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'd go minimum of 50 inches

3. here to lurk

any reason why?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I know little and mostly enjoy gazing at postage stamps, but-- the larger the TV, the more the resolution matters. 720p is not going to look good on a 48+ type tv.

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

It really depends on how far you are planning to sit from it. It needs to be big enough to see the picture but not so big e ever thing is pixelated. You can find a TV size formula with a google search

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

46 inch or higher. 1080p, at least 120HZ. Number of HDMI outputs is also important, depending on how much stuff you plan to hook up to it.

Plasma works for rooms in which you can easily control light.

7. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Samsung 46" 7150 sounds like something you'd be interested in.

8. here to lurk

plasma going to be outta my price range. I am leaning towards a 46in Samsung at 120hz but basically wondering if it will make any difference at all if it's 120 or 240....most everything I am looking at is 1080 so staying away from 720. My bet is I am over thinking and wont notice any difference once I purchase lol

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Anything smaller than that looks small in the room

10. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

When you go to place and see them on display, you'll notice a difference if the sales staff is worth a damn.

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I've bought three flat screens now and everytime I buy one I bring it home and think I should have got one a size larger. Obviously your budget and size of room matter but I would "go big" as you can.jmo.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yes.

13. here to lurk

yeah...don't have that option here...stores are filled with a bunch of brain dead folks

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i have a 38", bought it about a year ago. i'm in a small apartment. i was afraid if i went bigger i'd be sitting too close to it. I like it ok but I still have a nagging feeling i shouldve gone bigger

15. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The 240 is not actually real--it is an up scale. You'll love the LG you are looking at.

16. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

If you waited this long you might as well invest in a 4k (4096x2160) or UHD (3840x2160) . Direct TV already has deployed a sat to carry 4K broadcasts.

17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

18. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

19. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

I wouldnt get one today either. I would wait to get a 4k rather than large 1080 at this point. Half the market currently is 4k and UHD.

20. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Exactly my plan. The price coming down was tempting but not worth it after reading that article.