Early ESPNU Top 5...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by **TDCVOL**, Feb 4, 2016.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's FPI boys. you know the same computer equation that had USC ranked in the top 10 with 4 losses before they lost to a mediocre Wisconsin team. there is absolutely zero chance bama isn't rated higher in every preseason poll..

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

The Football Power Index (FPI) is a measure of team strength that is meant to be the best predictor of a team's performance going forward for the rest of the season. FPI represents how many points above or below average a team is. Projected results are based on 10,000 simulations of the rest of the season using FPI, results to date, and the remaining schedule. Ratings and projections update daily.

3. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Advanced Analytics. It's terrible though, last year they had USC ranked number #2 even after losing at home against UDUB.

4. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

This is an ALL Positive thread! Go tell Cuonzo we said "Hey".

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he and I aren't on speaking terms right now.

6. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Maybe mention how you think all Tennessee Fans are racist hillbillies and he'll give you a follow on Twitter. LOL

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

So is it predicting we will do the 5th best against our schedule then?

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no it's projecting you will be the 5th best team in the country. it's not predicting record though

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

For us to be #5 we'll have to have won the division and only lost to LSU, narrowly, in the SEC title game. Similarly for Clemson and FSU. Oklahoma would have to be undefeated.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is by them calling 2 combinations of conference rivals to be in the top 5, the rest of the field will have to blow in comparison.

EDIT: Another way of looking at it is that they are hedging their prediction and really saying that the ACC is weak outside of those two teams and that the SEC is top-heavy as well.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no they are saying that on a neutral field you would beat everyone, but 1-4. they aren't taking into strength of schedule.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

And what goes into this determination?

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

13. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Yup, FPI had us high all season due to SOS/close losses. I'm sure they just rolled forward those numbers and made adjustments due to returning starters, recruiting classes and projected SOS.

14. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I do remember the FPI had Auburn #1 in 2013 before anyone realized we were actually legit.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

If you read the article it appears they changed the formula this year. Beats me.

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Jealous

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Why would he be? He has Sonny D and Cuonzo.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yup. I'll be laughing at you boys when we are hoisting that emerald bowl trophy

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

They have second place bowl game trophies?

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Not to mention your 1 game run into the NIT!