ESPN SEC Top Returning RB's in '15

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by zero-sum, Feb 4, 2015.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's great at finishing runs on all but 2 or 3 carries a game? I'll take that from a freshman RB playing behind a terribly coached OL.

Chubb and Hurd are both future NFL stars if they don't suffer any serious injuries in college.

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

If I'm honest, I think Chubb looks more the part. His lower center of gravity helps out with that.

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

No I think it happens more often than that. I'm unstatisfied with how he finishes on about a third or more of his runs. But about twice a game he gets absolutely trucked in ways that you never see eilite power backs get trucked. I am not saying this can't be overcome.

4. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Referencing my (#57) post above I'll give you that he's been hit and at times drilled into the ground by a group of defenders during one of their all to frequent "jail breaks" but "trucked"?? "About twice a gm"? Not one-on-one or even two-on-one w/ defenders. Back it up --- a link or better yet vid's or I'm calling BS

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I don't think that can be stressed enough. You hear the good backs mentioning patience when running the ball during the duration of a game and most don't really understand what that means. When you are dodging DEs and DTs 2 and 3 yards deep (more often than not in Hurds case) it not only changes the end results but the mindset in which you run. Instead of patience you go more toward trying to get some that isn't there more often. The good backs that have average to good OLs can afford to be more patience because the poorly blocked runs still get positive yardage and eventually they are gonna give you more opportunities to get to the second level without have to deal with the bigs at the LOS. If UT is able to get the OL on a decent level I think Hurd has a very good year.

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Hurd's not elite, at least yet.

That said, I don't recall Hurd ever being "trucked" one on one.

He also fell forward on just about every carry he had.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015