Expansion talks again

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, Jul 19, 2016.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

FedEx is going to pay to get Memphis in the Big 12.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yeah it would be funny if they agreed to take say a zero share of big 22 revenues and then the big 12 imploded and they got nothing for it.

I guess if cinci is the other option that might look ok to the big 12. I'm not convinced it happens though. What tv network is going to pay more for Memphis?

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

[Q=droski;713317]Decent sized media market, new facilities, t boons money. Sadly they are probably the 3rd best team in the big 12 to poach now.[/QUOTE]
    It's a terrible media market. Stoolwater State is a bigger afterthought in Oklahoma than Auburn is in Alabama. If OU doesn't let them piggyback, they'll be lucky to get in the Mountain West.

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

West Virginia has roughly the same number of alums in DC, a huge following in southeastern Pennsylvania, and are actually the only game in town in their state. Tech is a nothing athletic department and the drunk bastard child of universities of their state.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you certainly don't take them without Oklahoma, but i'd certainly take them over texas tech, Baylor, or any of the Kansas schools.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The SEC would be stupid not to take Kansas for what they'd bring basketball wise and pick OSU

7. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I think you're underselling the school a bit with that last part.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

last time I was in DC I saw a lot more vtech fans than Maryland or west Virginia. my brother in law lived there and he says the same. I wouldn't think the sec would want either program though.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Kansas is too much of a football dumpster fire, imo. Doesn't meaningfully grow the footprint, just deepens it which isn't needed,for the SEC

10. RockyHill

It's a terrible media market. Stoolwater State is a bigger afterthought in Oklahoma than Auburn is in Alabama. If OU doesn't let them piggyback, they'll be lucky to get in the Mountain West.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your burning hatred but calling Auburn an afterthought is downright comical.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

only the acc has basketball that matters to anyone tv revenue wise. and even then it's basically just duke and north Carolina that viewers care about. Oklahoma is who the sec should be going after. texas too obviously, but i'm not sure texas would be interested.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Seems like an even mix to me, with UVA. A little Duke and Carolina too

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Compared to Alabama, it's not.

14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

FedEx is going to offer to sponsor title game in football and basketball. Probably some increased tech grants and scholarships to Texas and Oklahoma. Increased ad time to whichever TV networks.

Memphis is going to take much reduced revenue sharing for several years.

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It's gonna be funny when Memphis sits down at the big boy table and everybody gets up to leave.

16. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I don't want either.

We should kick Mizou out, replace them with FSU or Clemson and call it a done deal forever ever.

17. kidbourbon

What you just wrote is beyond ridiculous.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Just kick Mizzou and ATM out and go back to 12. Honestly I wouldn't cry if we went back to 10.

19. kidbourbon

To be fair, that state has one area code. One.

20. RockyHill

In terms of football power and fitting in culturally, those two are the best options.