POLITICS Federal Judge in Texas Strikes Down All of ACA

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by JayVols, Dec 14, 2018.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Welcome back caps on coverage, women being charged more for being women, loss of pre-existing condition coverage, and every other shitbag insurance company policy that people hate.

Thank you, Republicans. You just handed the Dems the 2020 election.

Oh, it's curious this ruling didn't drop before the election since it was filed under an emergency status last February. I don't ever want to hear about liberal activist judges ever again.

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

So about those activist judges...

JayVols likes this.
  3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If only there was some higher court to which matters such as this could be appealed, for any so inclined.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  4. JayVols

Who have already upheld.

Twice.

But this type of activist judge is just fine because you agree with it, right?

That would fit in perfectly with your views on the law.

emainvol likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Lone reason it was struck down is because the penalty for coverage is 0. This will be overturned everywhere.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd rather democrats focus their efforts on something better to replace it with, anyway. And I'd like the GOP to come up with their healthcare reform proposal. And then I'd like them to meet and switch packets, read each others, and start talking. Obamacare was a very rough draft, and there is no reason to lionize as "the solution." It was an honest attempt, but it is not adequate.

GahLee, zehr27, Joseph Brant and 5 others like this.
  7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Yeah it’s pretty hilarious to see Sarah Sanders and Trump out screaming ‘See, we told you it was unconstitutional’ when it was the administration’s efforts to remove the penalty that made it unconstitutional in the eyes of this Judge.

8. CardinalVol

The penalty still exists, there is just a penalty of $0 for it.l as of 1.1.19. It was the compromise made during the tax cuts. If I understand this ruling correctly, the judge is saying $0 isnt a tax, and is saying it is unconstitutional because of the tax aspect.

9. Tenacious D

I’ve yet to read his opinion.

10. Tenacious D

President Trump agrees.

11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

What I read was that the judge ruled each piece had to be in place to hold the others like a game of Jenga. By removing one (or making it zero I guess), the others fall and the entire piece is then unconstitutional.

This was an NPR article. Hopefully they misunderstood because thatdoesnt make sense to me.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Like our insurance overlords will allow this...

TennTradition likes this.
  13. CardinalVol

That is my understamding as well.

I suppose there could be an angument the individual mandate is null if thr penalty is 0 since it was deemed a tax, but that's a stretch for me even as someone who hates aca.

JayVols likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

He is in a great position to do more than sit back and have no role, like me. He can spearhead putting together the GOP's reform proposal. Right now.

JayVols likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's the sad part. They LOVE the way the ACA/Obamacare is.

JayVols likes this.
  16. JayVols

This is the same view the last guy that led the last ACA challenge in the SCOTUS.

17. CardinalVol

I did not realize that.

18. JayVols

Only costs, what, $10 per month according to Trump, right?

19. JayVols

I'll see if I can find the article.

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Mr. "Nobody Knew Health Care Could be so Complex" hasn't the first [uck fay]ing idea about health care and only cares insofar as it's called Obamacare. If they put white out on Obama and renamed it Trump, he would love it.

NorrisAlan and JayVols like this.