Good Riddance, Chipper.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hatvol96, Oct 5, 2012.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I get sick of hearing how damn good of a teammate he is. Show up and go to work every damn day and play the right way. That's a good ****ing teammate.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Why would you be remotely concerned with what "sets me off?"

3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Why not?

4. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

out of curiosity, where is A-Rod on your list?

5. dknash

dknash Chieftain

To be fair, he is 40. And not exactly the picture of health these last few years.

6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I know not directed at me, but imo it's murky since he started at SS.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Hard to judge. He's probably behind Robinson. He's just flat out not a third basemen. All of those brought intangibles that made them where they are on the all-time list. I just have a hard time, for instance, putting him above a guy like Brooks Robinson. Numbers wise when it's all said and done will be superior to all of them. But he's a shortstop in my eyes. Regardless of what the lineup card says.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Have I finally found someone else who wonders why Larry's name never got brought up in the sterroids mess?

9. CardinalVol

Have I finally found someone else who wonders why Larry's name never got brought up in the sterroids mess?

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Hard to judge. He's probably behind Robinson. He's just flat out not a third basemen. All of those brought intangibles that made them where they are on the all-time list. I just have a hard time, for instance, putting him above a guy like Brooks Robinson. Numbers wise when it's all said and done will be superior to all of them. But he's a shortstop in my eyes. Regardless of what the lineup card says.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He's never been one to hustle down the line. In fact, it's been on his advanced scout for years.

12. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I've viewed him as just kind of normal in that category. I don't find it egregious, especially in light of his age and injury history.

Perhaps it's just selective memory, but it seems to me that a lot of his injuries came running down the line to first or (most memorable) two years ago ranging into foul ground on a wet field. Kind of on the extra effort plays.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  13. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I agree, as I stated in my first post in this thread, imo he's the best SS on his team. But this time next year he will have been a 3B for a decade. Probably will have at least 12 years at the position when Jeter leaves if not more and by then if I were the Yankees, I'd leave him at the hot corner position. Just wanted a Yankees fan's opinion on the matter.

Either way, Chipper is quite a bit down the list.

14. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

What the hell do either of those things have to do with quitting on your team and essentially conceding the final out of the team's season and your career?

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Which can also be a sign of someone whose body isn't used to given 100% on a daily basis. I'm not as big of a Chipper Jones hater as Hat and others. I can see his appeal to the fans of the Braves and I do give him kudos for spending his entire career with one team. Doesn't happen much anymore. But the guy tanked it a lot in his career. I remember Smoltz taking a jab at him for it a few years ago. He got away with it because he was such a fan favorite and the face of the franchise that no one called him on it. Couple that with Bobby Cox, who I admire greatly, coddling him and you create a lazy baseball player.

He could have been better. That, to me, is the worst thing a player could realize once they hang them up for the last time.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

True. No way they move him back to short. Not in this lifetime.

17. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Not sure there's an extra gear there? Either he consistently fails to hustle year-after-year, or maybe that's just all there is? Maybe he just doesn't have a good [YOUTUBE]LqKTKUvbVsA[/YOUTUBE]?

To be fair I quit on the team in that game when the infield decided to start playing catch with the fans during live play.

18. CardinalVol

He's much, much closer to Rolen than he is the Brett's and Robinson's on the all-time list.

Then again, I've learned in my time in East TN, that anytime a Braves player is good, they are the best ever at their position.

19. dknash

dknash Chieftain

That or roids. Just kidding.

He would also do Q&A's sometimes with the fan sites, and he randomly dropped by the AJC beat writer's blog comment section a few times. Stuff like that made it more fun to be a Braves fan and seemed to indicate that he was a decent guy (as long as you weren't married to him).

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Other than the topics of Bruce Pearl and Jamal Lewis, I share nearly every opinion hat has ever uttered regarding managers, players, teams etc.

Not sure what that means.