How patient will the fans be with Martin?

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by tvolsfan, Aug 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Since this seems to be something that people are wondering, I thought I may as well start a thread where people could discuss it.

I tend to think he'll get a fair opportunity to succeed.

Many will panic early, but I think the fans who have always followed the basketball program will be reasonable.

Just wanted to hear some other thoughts.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

People who realized we had a bball team before 2005 - fairly patient because they understand the circumstances.

People who realized we had a bball team in 2005 or later - about half of the first exhibition game before they declare him a failure.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

There will be screams for blood early and often. Eventually, though, the >2005 crowd, as CardinalVol said, will cease to exist.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It seems there's a strong bandwagon element with this fanbase. I imagine they'll be a lot of people jump off board for a year or 2 especially if this bunch gets hammered a few times.

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

He's going to have a very tough time. Pearl brought a lot of people to TBA that didn't really care to be there before. Regardless of whether they know what the hell they are talking about, they aren't go to be happy with what Martin does early, most likely. He is going to suffer from a talent gap and basically losing this entire class (plus Pearl basically losing the last class). Those that are willing to give Pearl up will probably like his style and the work he will demand out of his players - but the product on the floor is going to take a while.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

One way that this team, and with that Martin, can appease more is if they play hard, gritty, etc. Some fans will still stick with a team that plays hard-nosed bball that might have otherwise written him off from the get-go.

7. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

I just have a feeling that people as a whole are either going to revert back to not caring or want him gone way before he deserves it. Its going to be extremely tough for him to follow up a guy that did such a good job improving the atmosphere and fanbase along with success on the court.