Hyams

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Mar 23, 2015.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Is saying the UTAD reserve is still under 2 million dollars

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Gotta pay those coaches off.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

How? How? After paying bargain basement prices for coaches, how is that even possible? SEC TV money not coming in yet? Bowl money down after SEC got 12 or 14 schools into a bowl?

I hate UT. I hate them. Bunch of backward idiots.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Who all are we still paying? And Tyndall and Jones aren't exactly working for free.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

You normally get what you pay for in life.

6. NorrisAlan

They are not working for free, but they are not getting paid so much that Tennessee should not be way in the black with all of this TV money rolling in.

SEC Coaches in Football last year:

Head Coach School Salary
    Nick Saban Alabama $6.9 million
    Kevin Sumlin Texas A&M $5 million
    Les Miles LSU $4.3 million
    Steve Spurrier South Carolina $4.0 million
    Gus Malzahn Auburn $3.85 million
    Bret Bielema Arkansas $3.2 million
    Mark Richt Georgia $3.2 million
    Gary Pinkel Missouri $3.1 million
    Hugh Freeze Ole Miss $3.0 million
    Will Muschamp Florida $3.0 million
    Butch Jones Tennessee $3.0 million
    Dan Mullen Mississippi State $2.65 million
    Mark Stoops Kentucky $2.2 million

Tyndall's 1.6 million is in the bottom half of the SEC basketball salaries as well (as far as I could tell quickly).

They are making it real hard to be a fan. Real hard.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Fire Hart

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I guess what I'm saying is, who else do we owe money to? Are we paying for facilities? There's some reason.

9. NorrisAlan

Probably #ddiapos is still drawing a check, and perhaps Raleigh. Fulmer was paid off a while ago, Cuonzo "quit", Kiffin quit, Pearl is not getting any money (I don't think, especially since he has a HC gig now).

Perhaps the new facilities are the cause of it. Just cannot fathom how they are so poor off. Boggles my mind.

10. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Doesn't the UTAD only get a fraction of the SEC money now? I thought Cheek determines how much the AD gets.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Is the academic side of UT still siphoning off money from athletics? Not to mention that Hart has, possibly, pissed off a donor or two?

12. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

This is my guess. Thougth that was the issue before.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Once Hart is gone, money will not be an issue.

14. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

No surprise. Where to start --- dysfunctional management, misallocation of resources, operational mediocrity, poor leadership, ...

15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

All of this.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The academic side charges the UTAD roughly $5,400 per semester per student athlete

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

One of Hamilton's last acts of treason was to concede to the placing of all athletic funds under the Chancellor. Now, some would argue that the Chancellor had the necessary power to simply mandate such a change, and that Hamilton's consent was irrelevant. I would counter that argument by pointing out that any Chancellor or President could have done it, and at any time...but none did (or even dared mention, much less actually attempt it) until the sitting AD (Hambone) consented to it.

This was a short time before Cheek gave Hamilton a $1M going away gift, and which he was neither contractually obligated to pay, nor should have done.

A crazy conspiracy theorist might say that whole deal looked closely akin to a bribe.

So, until the AD's finances are strictly back in their own immediate control, the academic side of the house will use it as its own ATM. And an academic institution is much like the government, in that that they can never spend enough of someone else's money.

Believe that.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the truly absurd part is that at virtually every other school they'd be falling over themselves to have any sort of surplus. arguing this is some sort of crisis, in particular given the fact UT is about to get what an extra $20 mil a year in TV revenue, seems a tad ridiculous.

19. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

kind of off topic, but does anyone follow @jimbohyams ? obviously a fake twitter handle for hyams but it's hilarious. In his twitter pics he has a screen shot where Jimmy Hyams says that UT is still to play UAB in football, this is after the UAB football program was shut down.

20. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Can we just go ahead and hire Blackburn?