Hypothetical Question

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Indy, Nov 6, 2022.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Would you trade the Alabama win for a win in Athens this past weekend?

We'd still be 8-1, but we'd be heading to the SEC Championship with a chance to avenge the loss to Bama, in 100% control of our own destiny for the playoff.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I was a pretty hard "no" until I thought about the chance to avenge the loss by beating Bama in the SEC Championship.

Wife was a yes from the beginning.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

4. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

Nope

Poppa T and A-Smith like this.
  5. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

This is like First Take brain style of thinking. Imagine giving back all the joy from that Alabama win. Ending that streak. The incredible ending. Taking Dixieland Delight from them. “It’s just business.”

Obviously beating Georgia in Athens would have been special but my goodness it’d be hard for it to top that.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No one that's an actual Tennessee Vol fan would trade it

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The thought experiment doesn't stop with just the win in Athens. We get a shot at an SEC championship, a chance for revenge against Bama later in the season, and control our own destiny for the playoff, rather than having to hope other teams lose for the rest of the season.

No doubt in my mind the joy of the Bama win that I experienced would far outweigh any joy I'd feel after beating UGA in Athens. But add in all that other shit, and it at least makes you think.

8. HCKevinSteele

Fair enough I suppose. I guess to me I like this path they’ve got. The things that have to happen for Tennessee to make the playoff are not far fetched at all. If they win out they’ll most likely be in. With the playoff now I don’t really see an SEC championship the way I once did.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No, not really

Poppa T, SetVol13, warhammer and 2 others like this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

A cigar in hand is worth more than a Bama in the bush.

Poppa T, dknash and Memtownvol like this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not sure a fully volified fan sees this as even a question. This is baby milk noob thinking.

12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

That Bama win did more for this program than any other game could do this year, other than a national championship. People will be taking about that game for years.

Poppa T and justingroves like this.
  13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No disagreement here.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What if you took it a step further and guaranteed an SEC Championship win over Bama?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well that's different.

Memtownvol and A-Smith like this.
  16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

More than a win over Bama in the SEC Championship would have done? I'm not arguing - just asking.

17. HCKevinSteele

It really can’t be overstated how much more fun a win, any win, is in your home stadium compared to a soulless NFL stadium.

justingroves likes this.
  18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Lol, so for you, the "chance" is the issue because it's not a sure thing.

People seem pretty adamant that it's a "no" as currently proposed. I'd be okay with changing it to guarantee the win over Bama in the SEC Championship game. I can still see some people saying "no thanks." We don't get the home crowd, the goal posts in the river, the cigars, etc.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Totally agree. So much so that it would make you question whether the addition of the SEC Championship makes it worth it.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Especially with 2024 and 2025 recruits rushing the field