Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jul 12, 2013.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

My comment about Scalia was not rooted in the conservative/liberal debate. I would say the same about anyone/thing if I felt it warranted.

I've never claimed to be a Supreme Court scholar. Never will.

Kagan and Scalia are huge hunting buddies.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Cross the border pregnant, plop out a kid, kid becomes us citizen, kid gets welfare and food stamps immediately based on number in family.

Figure the average illegal immigrant makes $20k a year under the table. That's $1,600 a year in sales tax. One kid in school obliterates that amount of taxes paid.

3. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Look up the SNAP program, and also many of them forge documents to get them. The whole program is so overrun with bad oversight, that we will never be able to fix it.

So do, and some don't. Most of the time, at least around where I live, they don't live in the nicer apartments or neighborhoods, instead they have multiple families living in extremely cheap accommodations. Therefore, they limit the amount of rent or taxes they pay on that property, so they can send money back to their home countries. I've also seen them really starting to get into HUD around here, thus keeping others that really need it out of those places.

Also, based on their income levels, they don't contribute near as much in federal taxes, if any in some cases, as their American counterparts, due to loopholes in our tax code. Not to mention the amount of them that work under the table and are paid cash daily.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Scalia produces a number of idiotic justifications, like his dissent for the DOMA ruling, but he's a smart dude and a formidable legal scholar. Still, Tenny's pathological hatred of liberals overrates his status as a justice who reigns over the more liberal justices of the court. The sooner Scalia, Thomas and Alito are off the court, the better.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Fair enough.

Didn't know he hunted with Kagan, but his BFF is Ginsburg.

6. Tenacious D

The sword cuts both ways, Dros.

The kid in your example, "plopped out" or not, is a naturalized U.S. citizen, and is deserving of all assistance as such.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I disagree. I believe we should change that law. It's archaic. The original intention of it was not to naturalize people her illegally.

8. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

What should be the qualifiers?

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

One parent who is a us citizen.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I could get behind this going forward. I think trying to make this retroactive would be a mess.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Obviously have to grandfather it in.

12. JayVols

Which is why I don't get the atmosphere of animosity between liberals and conservatives in the political world. It's the old business not personal approach for me.

13. Tenacious D

That's what I intended by the "double-edged sword", but didn't explicitly state it....if you don't like the law, change it.

My bad.

14. Unimane

So don't naturalize people here illegally, but I can't get behind the idea of taking away citizenship to those born here because we don't like what their parents are doing. If you are born here, in this country, to me, you are an American. I'm not punishing the kid for the sins of the parent.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

We aren't "taking away" citizenship we are not allowing citizenship to happen. Given that pregnant women come here specifically to get us citizenship for their babies, all we are doing is closing the loophole.

16. Unimane

You're taking away citizenship from the child born here and is American by birth. The only reason it's "archaic" is we created new immigration laws when the wrong type of people started coming. Punish the mother and send her back, which will, likely, require the child to go back, too. However, the child will be American, to me. What about children born to non-citizens legally born here? The fact that this is an immigrant nation and you are American by birth is a component I've always loved about this country.

17. JayVols

This is not meant to be a reflection on your proposal, pro or con. But does any other nation in the world not give citizenship to somrone born there? I admit the question comes from a position of ignorance as to whether there are any others that don't grant automatic citizenship in this situation.

18. Unimane

Looks like most of the western hemisphere and not much elsewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli

19. JayVols

Thanks man. That's interesting. I'm a bit surprised by that. So I guess there wouldn't be any international issues with doing this. Huh.

I also learned another cool Latin phrase, jus soli.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am not against changing it, but I do hope we continue to accept immigrants.