In the (unlikely) event UT doesn't land Gruden...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kidbourbon, Nov 27, 2012.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

...we should go after.

Gary Anderson:
    2009 Utah State 4–8 3–5 T–5th
    2010 Utah State 4–8 2–6 7th
    2011 Utah State 7–6 5–2 T-2nd L Potato
    2012 Utah State 10–2 6–0 1st

OR

Mike Mcyntire:
    2010 San Jose State 1–12 0–8 9th
    2011 San Jose State 5–7 3–4 T–4th
    2012 San Jose State 10–2

I'm especially bullish on Mcyntire since he is from Tennessee (His dad coached at Vandy). And any time you go from 1-12 to 10-2 in two years, you got mad skeelz. I don't care what level of play we're talking. That's what great coaches do.

2. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Dave Doeren or Darrell Hazell wouldn't be bad choices either, but the fanbase would revolt if any of these names even surfaced as prime candidates.

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

These would appear to be poor choices, KB.

4. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I get what you are saying Kid but if we don't get a "big fish" on this hire, I'm resigning myself to being the guy who is laughed at every time I walk into a sports bar wearing my Vols gear.

5. kidbourbon

That's just a conclusion. Make an argument.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Case in point, A-Smith.

7. kidbourbon

I'm not sure how hiriing one of those two guys would be any different than when Florida hired Urban Meyer.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I would, but my wife is giving me flack about your avi right now.

9. kidbourbon

Listen, the [ddiapos] hire was a disaster not because he came from the Sun Belt, but because he was a loser in the Sun Belt.

It's always a good idea to hire winners. Jim Harbaugh's first coaching job was at the university of San Diego (note: not San Diego State). His fist year he went 7-4. Then he went 11-1. Then he went 11-1 again. Then Stanford hired him. It isn't hard to spot a winner. Just look for the guys improving their programs drastically and winning games.

10. kidbourbon

Tell her it's very artistic and a celebration of the female form in all its beauty.

A-Smith likes this.
  11. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

you missed his point entirely I do believe. Dave Doeren and Darrell Hazell fit your above description, but the majority of the fanbase would flip.

12. kidbourbon

I want Gruden as much as y'all. All I'm saying is that these guys sound like better options to me that Strong, Kirby, Mullen, Fisher, Golden and the like.

13. kidbourbon

No, I got his point. I'm saying the majority of the fanbase flipped because [ddiapos] was a loser, not because he came from the Sun Belt. Nobody flips if you hire a winner. Am I wrong?

I'm a college football junkie and so I know how good these guys are. The average fan probably doesn't and so they might be schocked at first if we hired one those guys. But then you show them their record. It speaks for itself. What is there to flip over?

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

An undefeated season and a BCS bowl win.

15. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Because right now they are more after a name than a winner necessarily. The difference in winning in the Sun Belt and losing in the Sun Belt is rather insignificant when compared to hiring a Stoops, Patterson, Peterson or the grand poohbah, Gruden as opposed to hiring a Hazell, McIntyre, Anderson, Taggart, etc.

16. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Just call me gun shy after hiring the last up and comer

17. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

and just so you know, I read this sentence as such: "I'm really good at using Google"

NashVol11 likes this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think the the only way to appease the fan base is a name. I believe Kirby Smart will go on and be a good HC down the road, however, you can't roll him out there after Dooley. The fans would start a lynch mob.

I like Taggart and McIntyre a lot too, but again, do you think the majority of the fanbase would go for that? I don't, because like you said, the average fan doesn't know them. I doubt they would get a fair shake from the fans

19. kidbourbon

But neither Utah State nor SJSU are Utah. What Macyntire has done with SJSU is nothing short of astounding. Meyer didn't inherit a situation that bad. Two years ago SJSU was one of the absolute worst teams in college football. I made a killing betting against them. Two years later, I'm making a killing betting on them. They went 11-1 ATS this year. And I don't know of a better indicator of overachievement than that.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I could actually get on board with Hazell or Doeren after the initial depression wore off on not landing Gruden. Would be slightly concerned about recruiting the SE with either of them, but they are both solid coaches IMO.

That said, at this point, I also agree the majority of the fanbase would revolt.