IndyCar Racing

Discussion in 'Sports' started by The Dooz, Oct 10, 2011.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

[​IMG]

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

But I absolutely agree. Can't stand the bastard.

3. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

The biggest dbag driver I ever met was Peter Gregg, aka "Peter Perfect". As a corner worker/flagman I met many drivers at Mid-Ohio, and just about all were very friendly, at least appreciative of our efforts. Gregg acted like it was a pain in the ass to talk to us. He was a very good driver in IMSA Camel GT, but I don't think anyone liked him.

4. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

BTW, the ABC broadcast was one of the worst I've seen in quite some time. Scott Goodyear is literally the worst commentator I've ever heard speak on any sport or anything that has used commentators, right down to youtube videos.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I'm a pretty big Penske homer because Rick Mears. But none of his guys outside of Pagenaud move the needle for me. I can't stand Power, JPM I'm indifferent to and like Helio but don't find myself rooting for him either. I only pull for Simon because the wife does and he was really good to her at Barber last year. She was beyond excited to meet him and he was engaging and spoke with her for about 5 minutes, right after a practice nonetheless. That left an impression on me.

Of the Americans, give me CFH first, Rahal next and you can have the Andretti duo.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

He used to be good. What happened? Was Cheever with him? That duo sucked. What we need is more PT. Everybody needs more PT.

I like the ABC crew, or at least the pit guys and Bestwick.

7. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Itr's his same old schtick, talking like the maqjority of his audience has never seen a car, trying to crack jokes with Cheever that Cheever just ignores. PT would be hilarious. I'd love to see if he could work in any references to 2002.

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Scary crash for Helio today. Glad to see he was okay.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Pippa Mann as well. Hers looked worse than Helio.

Helio is probably going to win his 4th now that he got on his top, a la Mears in 91.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Just watched Pippa's. Always scary when they hit the pit wall like that.

If a Penske car has to win the 500, I'd rather it be Helio than Power or JPM. I think I'd die a little inside if I had to watch Power win the 500.

11. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I thought the Mears flip was in 92?

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It's a better story this way.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Newgarden went airborne today after hitting the wall. No as much as Helio, but still came off the ground and ended up on his lid. These aero kits are going to get someone killed if this keeps happening.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It's not the aero kit. Cars have been hitting the wall on the left side since they removed the apron.

It's more the gigantic under tray, the bottom of the car, on the DW12 that's causing them to get airborn.

15. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

The King of flips,

[video]https://youtu.be/kMeE9NAh60I[/video]

16. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

It's starting to get a bit worrisome now. Ed flipped early today.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

And now Hinch today. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

It sounds like Hinch is extremely lucky to be alive. I knew it was a bad crash, but didn't realize how serious his injuries were until I read an article about the crash. Sounds like if not for the safety crews quick response and the close proximity of the hospital to the track, he may not have made it.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

And the fact Methodist has one of the best trauma units in America.

Since he said, it let's just say "a big one to plug" is an understatement. And it's basically what saved his life.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...inchcliffes-wound-a-big-one-to-plug/27581589/

20. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Hinch was not a flip or even a roll-over, but he hit damn hard which tends to be worse. Blackbox recorded 120G spike on impact, 100+ can be fatal, so you could say he is lucky to be alive. There has to be some advances in crash survival ability or they will have to limit speeds until there are.

I always wondered if the human body's capability and vulnerability would one day be the absolute determining factor for maximum speeds in racing. It appears that it may be. Remember their last outing at Texas, where the drivers were having trouble with blurriness of vision and vertigo?