Is this it for Mark Richt?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Savage Orange, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Being corrected, proven wrong, or disagreed with by someone else while arguing with me and then falling back to "oh, I was just giving Indy shit." It's not just you.

2. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

To be fair, you were clear about Saban. I was just havin' a little fun which iirc is a first by you but I get what you're sayin'. Anyway, no harm no foul.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

4. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

How was Jimmy Johnson at OSU?

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Don't see how they can justify his continued employment. He has gone FULL FULMER.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

You made up a fictional scenario and so did he. Not sure what the uproar is about.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Whether he presented his fictional scenario because he misunderstood it as part of my own or because he wanted to add his own point is irrelevant. It was incorrect. Pretending Miles owes all of his successes at LSU over 10 years to the guy who came before him is absurd. Some, maybe. All? Don't be ridiculous.

8. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Little perspective --- JJ went head-to-head w/ Akers, Osbourne and Switzer

9. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Saban won a NC at LSU then left handing over a Top 10 program to Miles who in yr three won a NC w/ Saban’s recruits. Miles is a good coach but at the end of the day w/o Saban building and handing over a Top 10 program no way Miles enjoys the same success during the same period of time. As I earlier said Miles owes Saban a debt of gratitude.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Saban definitely awoke a sleeping giant there. Miles has kept it going, which is a lot harder than people think it is. I think he's a really good coach, but I don't know if he could have built a powerhouse himself, if that makes sense.

11. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

It does.

Edit: Saban will hand over a dynasty at Bama. What are the odds his successor can keep it between the lines for as long as Miles has? Not that high.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Especially if Smart is his successor. Alabama is a job made for great coaches, not good ones or guys learning as they go.

13. Low Country Vol

The mere fact you put Fred Akers in the same category with Switzer and Osbourne is completely moronic. Implying Johnson had to play Akers is also inane since they were never in the same conference during Johnson's tenure at OSU.

Johnson and Miles had to contend with two powerhouses during their time at Oklahoma state with similar results. They both landed at schools fresh off a national championship. Both maintained a very good program well after their predecessor left. How can you minimize one and not the other?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

If I'm Alabama I hire from within and hope to keep it going, but have the guy on a very short leash

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Not sure there's a guy already there I touch if I'm them, but it's not like it's happening immediately, probably, though you never know

16. RockyHill

Kirby Smart is not capable of succeeding at Alabama.

Edit: well there is Kiffin. That's just so hard to imagine.

17. Low Country Vol

For some reason when i think of a hyped up defensive coordinator like Smart taking over a major program, Mushchamp comes to mind.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

I think he'd be great!

19. RockyHill

I'm all for Alabama or Georgia making Smart their coach.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

I like some of what Kiffin does, but I just can't help but think that it somehow amounts to less than it should, even as OC. (Not saying I wouldn't take him for that position)