Is this it for Mark Richt?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Savage Orange, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

And before that, there was Meyer. Not trying to make excuses for him, but he has had to coach against some of the best ever.

2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

He's statistically one of the best coaches in SEC history. That's more than a decent run. It just is.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

It didn't stop Tuberville, Miles, Meyer, Chizzik, or Malzahn.

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Good; you take Richt with his high SEC winning percentage and I will take Meyer with his Championships.

5. RockyHill

Did I say I'd take Richt? Jesus. YOU SAID HE ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING. How many different ways can I put it.

6. RockyHill

Didn't stop them from what?

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Save Turbeville, national titles.

8. RockyHill

Malzahn hasn't won one.

9. RockyHill

You are wrong on two of five, congrats.

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Saban did not stop them from winning a Championship; as Indy alluded was Richts problem.

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Are you daft; you know the SEC has a Championship don't you?

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

He did. He was coach of Chiziks team. He also went to another title game.

13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Dynasty

14. RockyHill

Ok well yeah we all know that but come on.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

As i said in my follow up post, Meyer is pretty much on the same level as Saban at this point. Richt had to deal with both in their prime.

I'm not sure I understand your list though.

Tuberville has 1 SEC championship. Richt has 2. The point of my post was to point out that winning national championships is hard when arguably the best college coach of all time coaches in the opposite division. Even moreso when a coach who still has the potential to be the best coach of all time coached in the same division for a number of years.

Miles is certainly a great coach. I would put him above Richt, no doubt. He would probably have more than one national title if he didn't coach in the same division as Saban.

Chizzik? Seriously? Cam Newton and Malzahn won that title.

And then Malzahn did beat Saban as a head coach... i think it was already mentioned how much of a freak occurrence that was. The endings to the UGA and Bama games were some other world shit. And in the end, no national title. Still, Malzahn did win one as an OC, so credit where it's due.

So, essentially, your reply is that Malzahn and Miles did it, so Richt should have been able to as well? I'm perfectly fine with saying Miles is a better coach than Richt. The Malzahn part is tough though.

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Don't forget about all those SEC wins against Arkansas State, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Houston, Northwestern State, New Mexico State, Middle Tennessee, UAB, Georgia Southern, Marshall, La-Monroe, etc.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The Chizik title can't count for him and Malzahn. I'm more than happy to give it to Malzahn, but that eliminates Chizik from the list.

18. RockyHill

What are you talking about?

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Stop. Richt was around for a pathetic East. His titles were while Fulmer was bumbling around being a clown and UF had Zook. Otherwise, he doesn't win ****. The 2001 season was a gift from Fulmer.

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

You were giving Richt a pass because of Saban being in the League. Only 1 of Richts 2 Championships was won with Saban in the League (2002 - Saban at LSU). The Coaches I listed have won championships with Saban being in the League and all but Tubervile, while Saban is at Bama.

I am not talking National Championships. Sure winning 1 is hard. Dam near impossible if you can't win your Conference Championship; which Richt has not done in 10 years.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015