Is this Peyton Manning's last year in the NFL?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rbroyles, Dec 3, 2014.

1. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

While watching the Broncos/Chiefs game I became aware of Peyton Manning apparently having some difficulty throwing the ball down field on the longer routes. After one throw for an incomplete pass on third down he appeared to walk off the field with his arm hanging down as when a shoulder is injured. After that I noticed he had to put a lot of effort into any pass that was more than 10-15 yards. Also, the ball did not have the zip on it that it should have, with most of the throws having more of a "rainbow" arc to them. He had some passes too low and behind the receivers and on the long patterns was way off a few times. One of the announcers remarked one pass was a wounded duck wobbler. All this along with the second game with a large percentage of rushing plays brought out the question, "Is this the last year for him?"

Am I correct or did I just imagine what I have described?

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

His balls definitely have a different trajectory. I don't know if the change in philosophy is tied to an arm that's fading late on the season or acknowledging they have to be able to run the ball. But I think it's obvious it's almost gone.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Nfl started testing for hgh mid season. I'm sure that's a coincidence though.

4. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Lol. He's just old. He's had this probably all season. I would day this is his last year. Jmo tho. He sucks anyway.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Pretty sure I noticed a decline late last year, and thought he looked even worse at the beginning of this year. I said on this forum his balls were getting slower even while he was throwing for 400 yards and a gazillion touchdowns. The dude's body is giving out, and that didn't start mid season.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

RB is paying attention.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Meanwhile Aaron Rogers just looks better and better! Goat, iyam.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Trolls gonna troll.

9. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

The more times you say it, the more likely it is to be true.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

His arm got weaker as the season went on last year too.

11. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Good, cause he's at ~15 and counting. Trolls gonna troll, but this has been a problem since 2012.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Let him have this. He needs it.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I mentioned this earlier, rb. I saw it as well.

I'll go as far as to say that yes last year it dropped off as well. But this year it's even more of a drop off and something just doesn't look right.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

it's true, his balls are deteriorating

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Once you hit 35, each year ages you athletically 5 "years" if you ask me. You can cover it up with scheme, intelligence and experience. But there comes a time when you just cannot throw it out there anymore. And while he is still a top 5 QB in the league, someone like him is not designed to be top 5, but The Guy.

I honestly hope he retires after this year, as I don't want to see him pull a Joe Namoth/Johnny Unitas. But, if he wants to play until he is 50, that is his prerogative, and he should.

16. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Did you know they started testing for HGH in week 8 of this year?

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The wildcard, of course, is Peyton's competitive desire to hold on, for well or ill.

I don't think that anyone beyond Peyton can accurately predict where the balance between his mental and physical states may finally tip too far in one direction, and where it overrides his desire to continue.

Peyton knows better than anyone that he isn't the same QB (much of what you now observe in his throwing motion / spin are adaptations that he has purposefully made to mask or account for his physical deterioration), but how far he's willing to sink below his HOF-level abilities, is anyone's guess, but his.

I do know that when he decides to hang it up, that he'll announce it, and it'll happen immediately. No swan song. No final appreciation tour. And from that standpoint, if this was his final year, or if he was even seriously thinking it could be, no one would know it, save maybe 4-5 people, max.

But if he did hang it up this season, I'd expect it to happen just as its now going down.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He hasn't looked the same since he came back.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Hard to imagine what a guy with that type of competitive desire would do to hold on

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Probably eat fetuses.