Jeff Gordon wins Brickyard 400

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rbroyles, Jul 27, 2014.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I wasn't suggesting he should have been thrown right into IndyCar, just that I wished he would have instead had the same opportunity to work his way up in IndyCar, similar to what he has had in NASCAB.

And tht goes for anybody who came from USAC.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Yeah, I've been on TrackForum too long. I think it would be great to get more young sprint car talent into the RTI. But the opportunities are easier for them in NASCAR.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Easier and more lucrative. I don't blame any of them, I just hate that is what it has become since IndyCar owners told Jeff Gordon they weren't interested.

4. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

The hierarchy of Indy Car racing has had a hard time for many years getting or keeping some of the top talent. They let Tony Stewart get away in addition to never getting Jeff Gordon, Ryan Newman, Kasey Kahne, Kenny Schrader, Karl Edwards, and now Larson. They also lost Tim Richmond, and would have lost several lately if they could have been competitive. Letting Danica Patrick get away was bad, not that she is that good, but she gets press and draws fans.

5. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

get rid of restrictor plates. let the chips fall where they may.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

By chips you mean dead fans right?

7. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

serious question: how fans have died at nascar events?

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

As a result of the race or other foolishness?

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Of racing incidents? None. Why start now?

10. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

the race.

11. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

is it a foregone conclusion that the absence of restrictor plates will cause fan deaths? again, this is a serious question.

the "chips fall where they may" was meant more as a "see which drivers can adjust, the best, to more speed."

i'm not an avid nascar fan. i just don't get the concept of slowing down something thats meant to be faster.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Remember last years Daytona Busch race or Talladega spring 2009. Then imagine those cars going 40-50 mph faster. There is no doubt in my mind that fans would have died.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

After a couple of hours of intensive research tonight, I have come to the conclusion that NASCAR needs more shake...and bake.

14. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I believe one was killed at Charlotte from a tire and wheel that went into the crowd. Bobby Allison, Brad Keslowski, and Karl Edwards came very close to going into the stands. A stock car flipping through a jam packed grandstand with pieces flying everywhere could cause carnage that NASCAR would not survive the aftermath.

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The incident at Charlotte was an IRL race. I was there. Unfortunately.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I thought the Charlotte incident was Indycar. Maybe I am thinking about something at Atlanta.

I was at that race at Talladega when Edwards wound up in the fence. It was about 30 yards from where we were seated. There were injuries with that one. If Geoff Bodine's truck wreck at Daytona had been at a cup race, there would have likely been serious injuries with that one.

That Talladega race was my last trip there and was having a buddy know a security guard away from getting thrown out and possibly arrested.

17. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

honestly, no.
    aren't the odds good that this is, eventually, going to happen at some point?

18. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I have no idea what the odds are, but it is certainly possible. It also may have already happened without restricter plates.

19. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Wasn't the Charlotte one an IndyCar race? I know that's why they haven't gone back to Charlotte, I didn't know about a NASCAR incident.

EDIT: I should read before posting.

20. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain