Jeremy Lin - "[Ban Me] in the Armor"

Discussion in 'Sports' started by VolDad, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Actually - no sorry - but nigger is 10 times more offensive than [Ban Me] - I don't [uck fay]ing care if your kid is half asian - it doesn't make the word more offensive just because of that fact. That's nice that he's half asian. But it also shows you're taking the situation to heart because of that - and try to apply this bullshit plausible deniability racism to this scenario because of it.

A few of my former soccer teammates in high school were asian... their friends (on the team) called em a [Ban Me] on occasion - they got mad and gave the guy a friendly punch... didn't go crazy like I've seen some black people when a white person calls them a nigger.. jokingly or not.

Facts are facts - it is a common phrase and it fit the situation perfectly.

"a weak spot that may leave one vulnerable" - definition has been around much longer than the slang term. Why do away with it cause some paranoid people see it as offensive?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

So, the fact that some kids were offended but didn't get up to try and beat the shit out of someone is your evidence that it's not as offensive? They internalized their anger instead of lashing out? Essentially, you are saying you can't be as racist towards an Asian kid as you could towards a black kid. And, the fact that I have a kid who's half-Asian makes me more aware of this and helps me know what the [uck fay] I am talking about, considering I've actually had conversations with former in-laws and spouse a number of times about this subject.

So, you can try to ignore the obvious about the ESPN statement all you want, the "facts" are that it was a statement taken as a pun on the guy being Asian. Maybe the guy was trying to be funny and didn't necessarily mean for it to be racist (because he is as unaware as you as to the connotations of the word), but he knew what he was saying was in reference to Lin being Asian. The fact that you try and seek to explain it away as your first instinct demonstrates how the idea I have expressed works. Suddenly, it's the fault of people pointing out the objectionable statement rather than the one saying it, which is absurd.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bass, you sound like an idiot.

Your Asian teammates didn't freak out because it would only further alienate them. That's why it is called "white privilege.

Good luck in life if you think words like "[Ban Me]" are no big deal, or that "[Ban Me] in the Armor" is okay because of some lame "plausible deniability."

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I didn't even catch it until I read this thread. I assumed that they were referring to him turning the ball over every time he didn't score and it aided the effort that resulted in a loss.

5. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Haha white privilege - that's pretty funny considering whites were in the minority on my soccer team. And I was called cracker more times than anyone was called [Ban Me] on sports teams through out high school. I really don't think my outlook on the word [Ban Me] is going to affect my life - most asians I know shrug it off just like I would when a black dude calls me a cracker.

[Ban Me] in the armor is OK - its just some lame over-PC people [itch bay]ing just to [itch bay] about something and they'll move on to the next story soon just to [itch bay] because they do it for a living. Some people don't see race - and its evident by multiple threads on this subject over different forums who had no idea what the big deal was until someone explained it to them. It's retarded to automatically assume that wasn't the case for the author of the article.

And Unimane you're certifiably crazy or just completely biased if you honestly think [Ban Me] is as or more offensive as nigger. It's not even close. Stop letting your bias blind you - it doesn't make you any more aware just because you claim it does. And Jeremy Lin agrees [Ban Me] isn't nearly as offensive as nigger.

I said it shouldn't have been written - just because of the outlash he would receive from the article from the overly-PC people - whether he meant it to be racist/witty or if he honestly didn't notice. But some of you over react on this situation.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  6. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

I would say "[Ban Me]" isn't quite as offensive as "nigger," but then again I'm not Chinese or Taiwanese. ESPN, though, generally tries to make its headlines witty or punny and this one is neither EXCEPT for the [Ban Me] reference. If all they wanted to say was that Lin's Knicks finally lost, they could have done better than that and said something like "Linsufficient Effort" or "This One Stings" (Hornets) or something else (they do this for a living, not me) that actually relates to some aspect of the game. It probably seems like a reach to some, but based on the ESPN headlines I've seen I think it was almost certainly a play on the word "[Ban Me]."

And either way, dude just got fired.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

What you fail to realize is racism isn't dependent upon the conscience knowledge of it being so. You saying "some don't see race at all and have to have it explained to them" only illustrates the pervasive and systemic racism that still exists in our culture. The only argument one can make is hypothetical. In the real world, a headline about the only Asian American player started with the word "[Ban Me]." It doesn't matter what plausible denials can be made in Bassman world.

8. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

I guess I can agree with that.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm not sure what would be stupider. Using [Ban Me] in this instance intentionally or unintentionally.

If the dude did it on purpose he's a dumbass for not realizing this is going to be a huge roadblock for his career and will likely result in his termination. If he did it unintentionally he's pretty dumb for failing to make the racist connection. Either way, in my mind the guy is good to be fired based simply on the brain power he's shown, so I wouldn't even waste time worrying about whether or not he's racist if I'm an ESPN exec.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I didn't overreact at all. I didn't call for the guy to be drawn and quartered, hell I didn't even say he should be fired. I did, though, call out the bullshit idea that this wasn't a racist comment and that the usual pissing and moaning about "overly-sensitive PC people" was a cop out.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is actually a very tough question to answer.

12. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

13. WM

WM Active Member

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I've heard a top ESPN has apologized saying, "Me so saw-way."

Seriously, though, I think making Happy endings into a racial issue is a bit over the top.

15. WM

WM Active Member

I honestly didnt even know Ward was part Asian.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

And the anchor that first used the armor [Ban Me] description of Lin's performance has an Asian wife.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's way over the top.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Unlike tge armor comment, happy endings actually makes sense in context

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

[Ban Me] in the armor didn't make sense?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

No. What armor did a nobody have?