Jesus Christ, What The [uck fay] happened to us PART I

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Dick Huffman, Mar 27, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yep. I also feel like all the recent buzz around Kirby means to get him we'd need to offer a fairly great contract that would really handcuff us together for awhile. Just not sure enough about him to make that commitment.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Seriously. Why not pay more on the front end and get something more reliable, than spend the same if not more in the long run continuing to look for a bargain?

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's ridiculous. The money is a damn investment. Paying Saban double or triple what Shula made is more than paying for itself.

4. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

So you're saying Oklahoma was foolish in hiring Stoops in 1999?

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No but it was a risk hiring a guy with no HC experience.

Tennessee fans are sick and tired of hiring on the cheap. I would love to see them roll out the Brink trucks on a proven HC. I think that would go along way towards showing some fans the AD gives a shit about winning. The complete and total cluster[uck fay] that was the Dooley hiring has made it seem winning is about the 5th most important thing on the list for the AD.

Smart is, by all accounts, a great football mind. He's worked with Hatcher, Bowden, Richt and Saban. That's a good group of coaches. He's been both an offensive and defensive position coach and a DC. He's done everything but be a HC. He seems like he would be a good one too but other than Mark Dantonio, who worked for Saban at MSU shortly, which coaches have hit it big on their own after leaving Saban? That's what scares me about him.

6. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

How hard did Saban work to keep Muschamp and Dooley on staff compared to Kirby Smart? Smart is the goods.

Wanna know how good Smart is? Go look up some notes on presentations he has made at coaching clinics. His attention to detail of the learning process is astounding. He gets IT. We'd be very fortunate to land him.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hope you're right if we hire him, Huffman. You can see why I am gun-shy, though. So many hiring blunders over the last decade.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yeah, but does he say britches?

That's what I thought!

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Only [itch bay]es don't say britches.

10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I hope you're right

12. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Not really. Hamilton got a yearly bonus everytime the budget on coaches was below a certain number. He hired and fired coaches based on that and there was a near across the board decline in all sports because of it. The one hire that was made during his tenure that went above that set financial bar was Kiffin and had he stayed, we'd be talking National Title run right now.

Thus, all the bad hires of the past decade can be tied directly to Mike Hamilton handcuffing our success to a self-imposed tight budget. We will be fine.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Wait a second, where can one find this logical big orange kool-aid? It sounds like I might like it.

14. VolFrmNashville

VolFrmNashville New Member

Sadly, I didn't start following UT until the glory days of the 90s had passed. I wasn't raised to be a UT fan or any college football fan for that matter. I sure hope UT returns to prominence one day. It's been a rough few years as a student here when it comes to UT sports.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I hope you post here forever.

16. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

So you mean I scrolled through the whole thing and not one of you bothered to list the true facts of "Krispy Kreme's" and "work like heck" and the greatest reason of all...........
    The one we dont speak of that wears blue pants now!

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm sorry. I at least got 2 SECCGs and an Elite Eight trip in my 4 years there and I thought it was bad. I can only imagine the last 3 years up there.

18. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Think if you were there from 97-01. 2 SEC champs, Nat'l championship, 4 NCAA bball trips, 3 straight Lady Vols Nat'l Champs, and Ace Clement roaming campus. "The Greatest Generation" imo.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I believe I would have pursued a Master's in anything had that been my 4 year experience

20. VolFrmNashville

VolFrmNashville New Member

I'm graduating next May, so I have one season left. I really, really hope I can see UT beat UF or Bama while I'm here. The last time UT was ranked was when I was a freshman in 2008. It's been rough, but like you said, there have been some good moments. Beating Kansas and UK in basketball, and going to the Elite Eight stand out. Sadly, the best football game I've seen was 09 vs UGA. I remember Crompton rolling out of the pocket time and time again and destroying them.