Just how bad is this year's NBA draft going to be?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Indy, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Been debating with a UK fan about how SEC bball will look next year, and he kept alluding to their current players as "first round draft picks" that will be back next year. So I did a little research, and sure enough, there they all are.

2013 NBA Draft Prospect Rankings - CBSSports.com Basketball

My question is, how in the hell are those dudes projected to get drafted that high? Am I missing something, or is this year's draft class just going to be terrible? Also, why isn't Jordan McRae as high as, say, Archie Goodwin, when they play the same position in the same conference and have very similar roles and statistics?

2. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Ceiling and potential. Same reason Daniel Orton was selected so high.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i've seen multiple projections with cal's alan crabbe as a late first rounder, early second. if that's even remotely accurate either NBA scouts are complete idiots or the class sucks major balls.

4. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Not to mention all of Calapari's players will get some benefit of the doubt.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So what is it that makes their ceilings so much higher? Are they just riding high school ratings? Stokes matches up with Poythress statistically as well.

6. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Stokes and Poythress don't even play the same position. Stokes is a below the rim player, undersized, and just not athletic enough to warrant being drafted right now without a better offensive skill set. Poythress is a 3/4 and has better length, more explosive and better skill set. Stokes would have almost every one of his shots blocked of he were in the NBA because any player with length really bothers him offensively.

It's mostly just athleticism and size for big men.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  7. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

And with McRae, I would say what's holding him back is the consistency - he's not going to just shoot up draft boards after being a no show the previous few years. He also plays very sloppy D most of the time. I'm not sure if his trajectory on his shot is an issue - but he shoots line drive 3 pointers - may have an effect from NBA range.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I know stats aren't everything, but I guess I just don't see how 11 and 6 in one of the worst conferences in college hoops translates to first round NBA pick.

9. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Don't know - did Daniel Orton even average 2 points a game?

10. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Hat said ball handling is McRae's issue. When it comes to his pro potential.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Is it really that big of an issue to the point where he isn't even on the list while Goodwin is top 15?

12. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Goodwin has the frame to handle the NBA grind. McRae doesn't yet.