La Tech - 2 AD

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 7, 2011.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

It was in jest. Lighten up a bit. Sheesh.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's not that Tennessee is struggling, it's the fact they look lost. You can tell the difference between young and dumb and not being prepared. The OL should not regress. The run game should not get worse.

Tennessee is hanging around because Arkansas is a soft team with no killer instinct.

3. JayVols

I actually came back to post the exact same thing. I didn't expect a stellar record this year. We have looked like a middle school team tonight.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

No, we look like a team run by freshmen and sophomores, which is exactly what we are. We've started 16 freshmen this year and played the top 6 teams of the SEC. How do you expect them to look like a reasonably coordinated and able unit? It's just not going to happen.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I expect the coaches to do their jobs and the same mistakes not be repeated over and over and over and over.

You seem to think it's okay to look lost 9 games into the season because of "youth". 9 games in, you aren't a newbie anymore.

6. JayVols

I wasn't aware that one had to be an upperclassman to be able to tackle, get a play called without having to burn 4 timeouts, or punt the ball farther than 12 yards. My bad.

This is game 10 not game 1. The excuses are wearing thin. Once again to be clear, I am not expecting lots of wins. I am expecting improvement. Unfortunately, we still aren't able to handle fundamentals very well. Young of not, that's the truth.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Bray is going to make this staff look way better than they are, next year.

8. Unimane

So, they are going to be able to compete with upperclass laden, top ten teams simply because it's game 9 of the season? We have 18-19 year old kids playing against mature players and teams with depth. This is how it is this year, so I don't know why there's hand wringing. Plus, on top of being young, we've been hit with a ton of key injuries.

Outside of losing pretty much all of our top players, little this season has surprised me. I don't see why anyone looking at this realistically would reason otherwise. We're too young without much depth and lost our best players all while playing 2 top 5 teams, a top 10 team, top 15 and Georgia, who's leading the East. It's not hard to figure out the problem isn't needing a new coach or, maybe more factually, judging the coaching (at this point).

9. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

So you don't see any problem in the way this team is coached? At all?

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Please...my middle school players wrap up on tackles.

11. JayVols

Sorry to offend, dude. No harm meant. You forgive me? Was the info that I sent you helpful?

12. Unimane

Of course, which is why I'm saying "wait and see" as opposed to "he'll get the job done". Hell, I can tell you that even Saban screwed up the LSU game, so no coach is immune to mistakes or problems with their coaching. As of now, though, I've seen nothing for me to really judge Dooley upon. He's beat the teams he should and lost to the ones who had better talent, doing so with the worst collection of talent I've seen left to a coach on the Hill in my lifetime. He, basically, had to built the team from scratch and that's exactly what we have now. He didn't have enough time to do so at LA Tech (which is why I thought we should've gone elsewhere) and hasn't had enough time here, either. Once I see a window in order to judge him on the talent he's brought in, developed and the result, then I'll give that conclusion. To me, that's year 3, in this instance (and all situations are subject to their own considerations).

I also know that any coach will tell you that playing a ton of freshmen will make any coach look bad. So, considering all of this, I see no reason why people are making such concrete pronouncements now. It makes no sense to me.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I forgive you and the info was great. Danke sir

14. Unimane

I will say that it is entirely reasonable to judge Dooley on the results of the next two games. I don't give a shit how good Vandy thinks they are, we should beat them and Kentucky is a joke. We lose either and Dooley should get all kinds of shit for it, we are better than either of those two teams, especially if Bray is back.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I expect the team to be able to line up and not jump offsides 8 times a game.

I expect the offense to get a play in and not have to burn 2 timeouts 12 minutes into a half.

I expect the special teams to not be a disgrace to the game of football.

I expect CBs to turn their heads and look for the ball in the air.

I expect a defense that has at least 6 or 7 sound tacklers in the starting 11. You don't have to be talented to wrap up.

I do not understand why you think I expect us to "compete" with top 10 teams but I think you would be shocked how close Tennessee would play those teams if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot every other drive.

These are not "talent" issues, it's discipline and coaching.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee wasn't any worse than South Carolina or UGA either.

17. Unimane

Yes, they were. Those teams have a ton of upperclassmen and talent, which is why they sit where they are. Georgia, especially, has an enormous amount of talent, but is crippled with Fulmer's first cousin as HC.

18. What a coincidence. Fulmer's cousin is [uck fay]ing up UGA, and Dooley's son is [uck fay]ing up UT.

19. Unimane

Huh? We had 5 total penalties the entire game. It's something we've improved upon the entire year. I don't want to say it's coaching...

I've seen missed tackles in the NFL (although it was pretty poor tonight), Aaron Rodgers having to blow TOs (he even had a delay of game last week) and all the other stuff happen with young players everywhere. It's not a unique phenomenon here, plus we don't have nearly the procedural nor snap issues we had at the beginning of the year.

And, how exactly, do you expect to compete with top ten teams on the road with the talent and youth at Dooley's disposal? Explain to me this because I'm curious. It's not going to happen, it just isn't. Just because you want them to look a certain way doesn't make it possible with the material in front of us. Not yet, anyway.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Apparently a coach's job is to sit and hope his team wins. I understand now.