MLB Game 162 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by dknash, Oct 3, 2012.

1. dknash

dknash Chieftain

This seems like one of the more interesting final days in the past few years, though maybe I'm biased against the two years where the Braves had a solid grip on a playoff spot and tanked it down the stretch (saved only by the Padres in 2009). That is almost entirely at the expense of the integrity of the playoffs, but whatever. Friday should be exciting, too.

Anyways, we've got:

Chipper's final AB - a pinch-hit single and scored on the second career RBI of 33-year-old catcher JC Boscan.

Washington vs. Philadelphia for home-field throughout the playoffs for the Nationals. Currently 3-1 in Washington's favor.

Oakland vs. Texas for the AL West and avoidance of the play-in screw job. Hamilton tries to play spoiler for Miguel Cabrera and trails by one home run (if he gets the 11 RBIs, I think he hits multiple HRs too).

LA Angels vs. Seattle - Mike Trout could catch Cabrera in BA if he has an exceptional game and Cabrera, if playing, takes the collar.

Boston vs. the Yankees - If the Yankees win, they win the East and dodge the play-in. A loss only matters if...

Baltimore vs. Tampa Bay - ... Baltimore wins. A Baltimore win and a Yankee loss would force a tiebreak game and likely destroy the loser's chances in the play-in.

Detroit vs. Kansas City - Miguel Cabrera goes for the Triple Crown. Or perhaps already has it since the relevant games are earlier in the day.

Cincinnati vs. St. Louis - Only matters if Washington loses. Then a Cincinnati win would give them home-field.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Not nearly as exciting as game 162 day last year, that's for sure.

3. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I think I was mentally checked out and expecting the collapse. Ruined it for me.

Last year was all about the two collapses. This year has some nice baseball history moments and some dark horse underdog teams that hopefully won't have to play each other in the one game playoff and prematurely end a story.

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Washington wins and gets homefield and faces the winner of Atlanta/St. Louis. Cincy vs. SF in the other NLDS matchup.

Cincinnati - St. Louis tonight likely becomes glorified spring training.

5. CardinalVol

I am looking forward to seeing Shelby Miller throw for the Cards tonight to see what he can do over 5 or 6 innings hopefully.

6. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Your 2012 al west champs are clad in green and gold!

7. CardinalVol

Congrats vfb

8. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

in all honesty, Game 162 from last year is never going to be matched, no matter what they do to toy with the system. The one card Wildcard game is still a joke and I'm incredibly thankful I don't have to see my A's go through the agony and pressure of a must win single game.

9. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Guess everyone loved last year. I just have no perspective.

The Rays' comeback was great, in retrospect. Just overshadowed for me.

I think Miggy's triple crown is wrapped up. Trout is 0-1 with a HBP, and he really needed to go 4-4 with an 0-4 from Cabrera.

10. CardinalVol

Fun fact.

On June 1 both the Astros and A's were 22-31.

11. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I've been on a rollercoaster ride for my opinion of Billy Beane. But he clearly just cemented his legacy yesterday. What a way to string together a team. A bunch of castoffs and "this guy might make it" type players for every day position players and a slew of rookie pitchers won the West and almost took first overall in the AL.

Last night was proof why Bob Melvin is the overwhelming choice for manager of the year over Showalter imo. Griffin got tagged for 5 runs and Melvin used all the right relievers to keep Texas' bats silent after pulling Griff. He pulled Ryan Cook, Oakland's lone all star from the closer's role for Grant Balfour and all Cook did was turn around and become one of the best set up men in the game. Bartolo Colon's suspension? Who cares. No Dallas Braden? Who cares. Brett Anderson missing all but a month of the season due to injuries? Who cares. Coco Crisp getting pink eye and missing over a week in the final three weeks? Who cares, the A's just kept winning and hitting home runs. Whatever happens now is honestly gravy, but who on earth would want to play the A's right now in a best of anything series?

12. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

also, on a much sadder note, A's reliever Pat Nesheck wasn't with the team the last two games as he was welcoming his newborn son into the world. Unfortunately, a mere 23 hours after celebrating such joy, the newborn died of yet to be determined causes. Prayers go out to him and his family.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Just saw that on Twitter. That's terrible.

14. CardinalVol

That's awful.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Terrible news

16. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Neshek came in the bottom of the seventh and got the A's out of a runners on first and second, one out jam with a grounder and a strikeout. The A's may not come back to win the game, but it was awesome to see him come and deliver.