POLITICS My Facebook Feed

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by TennTradition, Jan 3, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I guess I am right wing, but in favor of universal healthcare, fighting climate change, social justice, environmental justice, and building resiliency in national infrastructure.

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I see no reason to name one liberal or conservative. They can both be Hero's. Clearly an attempt by folks on the right to denigrate based upon sexual orientation.

But what else is new.

gcbvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The argument is that any church that teaches that homosexuality is a sin and that one cannot reassign one's gender, or that refuses to perform homosexual weddings, would lose their status. That would be quite a few Christian churches and probably a number of other religious institutions/organizations.

The way we get there is by making those things "illegal."

If one group is gathering and doing everything you outlined, and another group is gathering and doing everything you outlined + weddings, but refusing to perform weddings for homosexuals, then, yeah, the latter can lose its status while the former doesn't, if the act of refusing to perform homosexual weddings is deemed illegal on basis of discrimination.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Didn't even think of it that way. I don't really like hero worship to begin with.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

What is an example of a church ever losing its status? Has it ever happened, under any circumstances?

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

What percentage of churches, today, do you think put up many barriers toward gender reassignment, and homosexuality? What percentage of them do you think include messages on this, in any way?

There is a difference between acknowledging that the scripture or dogma says X, but not actually ever really discussing it, or refusing service.

The number of churches that don't discuss and don't refuse service is probably in the great majority, even today. Even today, dude. 30 years down the road, the odds of that number expanding is much, much greater than decreasing, to the point that those that refuse these things would be looked at as so backwater that, it will still just be one or two churches here or there.

For example, you seem to be worried about this, so I'm assuming you do church. Does your church talk about this crap much? Or discriminate?

7. fl0at_

The religious right spent so much time making homosexuality illegal, that now they're worried their playbook will be flipped on them.

But it won't be, because the left isn't the assholes the right has been for so long.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Haha. Of course they arent..Unity!

9. fl0at_

Huh? The religious left and the religious right have a pretty big amount of unity, especially when it comes to their churches.

Or are you one of those twits that think nobody on the left is religious?

10. Ssmiff

You posted "the left isn't assholes the right has been", which deserves an lol, in general.
    Is it the left or right who wants to take pregame prayers away from games? Is it the left or right who will try and fire a coach for praying with his team? Is it the left or right who wants to ban prayer, but force kids to learn to pray like a Muslim?
    Religious zealots are scary. I dont like intolerance of any kind. Growing up Baptist in Memphis and the hypocrisy turned me away from church. But I will always find it amusing when you guys point the finger of blame and ignore the rest. Always. Twit or not

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

All religious practice, LEAD BY TEACHERS AND AMINISTRATION, should be kept out of school. Period. Going to an Anderson County HS home football game is a quasi-church service, and it is rather bizarre to me.

I would be interested in this "forced to learn to pray like a Muslim" bit, as well. Where and when did this happen? Was it a one off? Was that teacher admonished and/or fired? As far as I can tell it was a fake news story, but would be interested in where this happened.

And I believe religious studies should absolutely be taught, from an academic stand point. It was perhaps the single most important class I took in college.

I am not sure if you are lumping me and people that want to force my kids to pray during home room as religious zealots or not, so I will let you expound on that. I do not believe I am a religious zealot at all, just a believer in the separation of church and state.

12. fl0at_

I did, with regards to RELIGIOUS LEFT and RELIGIOUS RIGHT, not just left and right. Because, the paragraph above it, says "religious right." Do you see it? Do you see that part? That's how you know, that's called context.

I'll be more specific next time, I'm sorry, I forgot context is difficult for many.

So, to fix my mistake in thinking people are intelligent: "But it won't be, because the religious left isn't the assholes the religious right has been for so long."

Prayer has nothing to do with football, or games, or coaching. Period.

When speaking on CHURCHES, see, both the left and right go to church. And this idea that the religious left are going to be ok with shutting down churches, or taxing them differently, is dumb squared.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Should a child be subjected to a religious ritual at a school function like a football game, or not? I am confused because you seem to be saying yes and no in this post.

14. Ssmiff

Probably not, but if my son is about to play a football game and the coach wants to pray for safety of all players, I dont mind. If a Muslim coach wants him to pray to Allah, we play for somebody else. If a coach is a non believer and talks about it with the kids, we choose another route as well.
    Another example, the UT hoops program prays together and often. If players aren't interested, they go somewhere else.

15. NorrisAlan

This is fine, but what if, like me, ACHS is the only option?

What about home room? before you eat lunch? Why stop at sports?

I cannot afford private school. Just keep religion out of public schools, easy peasy.

SetVol13 likes this.
  16. Ssmiff

I'm surprised they pray like that in your public school

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

A team having a prayer together is a world different than an announcer over the PA asking everyone to fall silent and receive an invocation. I'm not sure what the distinction is that you are making between English name for God and the Arab name for God. Or why either is more appropriate than a quick talk about... what, not doing that?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

They do so at many schools in the South. They did at mine. We had something called Crusades during school hours. But saying anything unsupportive about it gets the ole "persecution" claims.

19. Ssmiff

I dont recall pushing for an announcer over a PA so good luck finding the post.
    As far as Christian vs Muslim, you google enough to know the differences. You are neither, so your opinion on how we should conduct ourselves doesn't really matter

20. NorrisAlan

It isn't quite that bad, but the Ten Commandments are plastered up on the wall in the gymnasium, at a pep rally I swear they had a guy come up and almost give a full sermon, and there are signs everywhere for "prayer meeting before school".

If they could get away with it, I believe 100% there would be an invocation before each day and each meal.

Again, just keep it all out of the Public School system. Do what you want in a private school, because it is private.