NBA / Cuban Aim to Stop "One and Done" Players - KY fans are breathless

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Apr 5, 2012.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

It's really simple. Guys like LeBron James and Kevin Durant have no business playing in college for three years and it's a useless exercise to try and justify it. The three year rule is just a way to take the player's money and give it to the NCAA while helping owners protect themselves from their own bad investments.

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Of course they aren't going to like it, they are probably going to hate it. I'm not debating that. If they wanna make a pay day and say [uck fay] college altogether, they are more than welcome to get paid to play overseas and play and when their three years is up they can go to the NBA.

3. GahLee

True enough. But how many LeBron's and Durant's are there in the NBA right now? Nt like every one-and-done player is even remotely close to that talent level. Those guys are HOF players.

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Exactly. When computer science majors and tennis players have to start staying in school for three years before they begin to earn a living, I'll listen.

5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

There are enough in basketball that make the three year rule look ridiculous, bordering on insanity.

6. hatvol96

So? Not every tennis player is John McEnroe. Who's making them stay in school?

7. hatvol96

Are you honestly asking how many guys with less than three years of college are thriving in the NBA right now?

8. hatvol96

That's the capitalistic spirit. "If you don't want to make a bunch of money for a bunch of pompous, bloated pencil pushers, while getting no meaningful cut of the money yourself, get the hell out of the country." Adam Smith must be proud.

9. GahLee

That is completely unfair, if the NBA sees it is in their best interest not to allow teenagers into their league then so be it.

10. hatvol96

Come on, you know Carmelo Anthony needed two more years at Syracuse.

11. GahLee

What does that have to do with the NBA? Nothing.

12. hatvol96

It's not unfair at all. I'm not some mindless lemming who acts as if the powers that be mandating something makes it right. The fact the NBA uses the rule to attempt to save themselves from themselves does't make the rule any less a pile of bullshit.

13. GahLee

No.

I asked how many were like those two, obviously there are going to be a select few who are above all of their peers and yes, LeBron would be a fish out of water had he played three years of NCAA ball but how many guys are that good?

14. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I can understand the NBA wanting the rule, and I can understand why schools and their coaches would like it. Although I'm not sure I agree, I can understand the arguments that both college and professional basketball would benefit from this.

However, anyone insinuating that the purpose of this rule would be to benefit the players is either lying, misinformed, or stupid.

15. hatvol96

It has everything to do with it. The rule isn't in place to benefit players or look out for their safety. It's there to make sure the NBA doesn't have to create their own minor league system and incur those costs. They just use the NCAA as their farm system. They lie and say it's about all these high minded ideas. If they admitted why they do it, they'd be screwed. When Billy Hunter's ragged ass leaves the front of the NBAPA and the guys who benefitted from going straight to the league install one of their guys at the head of the union, you'll see that rule die almost immediately.

16. GahLee

You're taking what I'm saying the wrong way, not what I meant in the least. I would blame a kid one bit for going overseas and skipping college altogether. Nothing wrong with it. If you want to be a professional, then be a professional. Here or abroad, still getting paid.

17. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

There are many, many players who have no business playing in college for three years. I don't see why you would want to see them all stay so long unless you want to see teams go 40-0.

18. GahLee

Of course the NBA is trying to protect themselves and their best interests, what is wrong with that?

It's apples to oranges, you wanna act like the game of tennis is the same as the game of basketball then go ahead.

19. hatvol96

What does it matter? If I improve enough between my freshman year and my sophomore season to be a lottery pick, why should I be forced to spend another season lining the pockets of fatass administrators of Jerkwater U in Nowheresville, USA?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  20. hatvol96

Why should someone have to leave the country to practice their trade?