New WR Coach: Kevin Beard (FIU)

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

From the article on SDS:
    2003 graduate of Miami, helped to develop several SEC standout WR's while in the high school ranks (including Amari Cooper), and most curiously, was on Smart's UGA staff last season...so it looks like he's bailing on FIU after having just arrived.

Link: http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/te...nessee-hires-new-receivers-coach-kevin-beard/

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Seems to be a meh hire. Unless I overlooked someone, there didn't seem to be any standout receivers at Miami in his one season as WR coach. Only been a position coach at the college level for one year. This is also his fourth job in three years, which seems less than ideal.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't know how good a coach he is, but he can recruit well.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The bouncing around doesn't bother me because he's been going up the ladder so to speak. He went from a GA to a WR and passing game coordinator for an interim HC, worked with Kirby Smart then took a full time job at FIU. They've all been promotions or moves that had nothing to do with him.

A guy like Canales, he's got a shitty track record. Beard just doesn't have much of a record period.

He reminds me of the Ansley hire under Dooley and Sunseri. Ansley was a bright young coach that walked into a lame duck coach's last year, then bounced around and is now on Alabama's staff.