NFL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, Aug 18, 2014.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Do they still have a team?

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

WNBA, I think.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Small perk of the Nashville Oilers - getting to see random Packers preseason games on TV I'd otherwise not gotten to watch.

justingroves and Unimane like this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Trump's meddling with the nfl on players protesting is literally illegal. This needs to stop.

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I missed it. Which court held this? Which statute was violated?

Or are you just spouting a bunch of uninformed left-wing ideology as fact again?

6. CardinalVol

I don't like it, but I don't see how his tweets come close to the threshold of illegal.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

18 US Code 227

8. cotton

Which official act did he take to deny employment based on political affiliation?

You are almost as quick to criminalize behavior you do not like as you are to turn every thread to politics.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Glad you are back, cotton

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Not going to get in a debate of semantics per se, but I’d argue anthem protests are covered under the 1st amendment and, more specifically would cite WV Board of Education vs Barnette 319 US 624 (1943) for case law.

11. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Don’t get his bizarre obsession with the issue, but not seeing illegal.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I posted in response to reading his tweet today:

He doesn' have to actually do an official act, threatening one is also in that text under (2).

Hey, I'm not a legal expert. Maybe there's wiggle room for threatening constituents with punishment for protests.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Whoa, give me some credit. I'm the one who criminalized it.

14. cotton

(a)Whoever, being a covered government person, with the intent to influence, solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation, an employment decision or employment practice of any private entity—

Do you have to be a legal expert to understand those words?

Or do you understand them, but are just a loudmouth ideologue reciting Ocasio-Cortez bumper stickers again?

15. cotton

Tried to criminalize it. Fortunately, you are too feckless and weak to have any actual influence other than derailing sports threads.

16. CardinalVol

It fires his base up.

Nothing more or less.

NashVol11 likes this.
  17. cotton

Without delving into a deep discussion of ConLaw, I would simply point out that 1.) Trump has not forced anyone to do anything; 2.) If he did, the remedy is for courts to rule that he cannot force anyone to do anything contrary to the 1st Ammendment.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I looked down at who was a government covered person under (b)(3).

I think you have a good point on the black bolded part, but I don't think it is clear cut given the history of his comments on the issue during the campaign.

Sorry I introduced NFL kneeling protests and Trump commenting on the NFL to the NFL thread. Probably belongs in whatever thread it was discussed in before.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I guess we’d need to know what specifically he has discussed/threatened with certain NFL owners and what those owners have done to prevent their players from protesting based on his threats (that may or may not exist).

I don’t know that anything illegal has been done yet, but it’s also not a case of nothing to see here either.

20. CardinalVol

I didn't realize Justin Hunter was still around the fringes of the league until yesterday.

justingroves likes this.