Novak Djokovic

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Jan 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I should note that Roger Federer is still the best player in the world on indoor courts.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I did watch it. I watched Rafa slice a short volley into the net on break point, something he would never, ever do against Fed.

3. kidbourbon

That's silly. Rafa will make mistakes like this all the time against Fed or anybody else. Is this missed volley your basis for believing that Djoker was in Rafa's head in that match? I just don't see how you could have watched the 4th and 5th set of that match and come away believing the problem was mental. Even Rafa said after the match that it wasn't mental -- and Rafa will acknowledge if it is mental...the guy literally cannot tell a lie -- and that he was satisfied with his mental and physical performance.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Good point, kb, but Rafa clearly indicated there was and/or is a mental thing there with Novak. One good match here doesn't mean he won't come out and totally blow it next time.

5. kidbourbon

Fair enough, but it certainly doesn't hurt Rafa that their next big match will likely be on clay.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

No, I really don't think it's silly, KB. I think he tends to make the same type of mistakes on big points as Fed makes against him. It's not a slam on Nadal; and, he may very well overcome it. But, he double faulted on a set point, and he missed an easy slice volley on break point. He doesn't do that stuff against Fed.

7. kidbourbon

It's arguably silly. :)

Neither of us actually know whether Rafa's double faulting at set point and missing an easy volley were manifestations of Djoker being in his head or just run-of-the-mill errors. So on this point we may have to just agree to disagree. Roland Garros will hopefully* give us a definitive answer.

*I'd love to see them play again. Some of the highest quality play I've ever seen.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Certainly agree with that. It was a truly epic match even though I was thoroughly disappointed with Fed's performance in the semis.

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337195250.815434.jpg

Attached Files:

10. kidbourbon