Olympics Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by CardinalVol, Jul 27, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I didn't hate the opening ceremony but the end was underwhelming for sure. There has to be height to the torch, imo, jmo.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

It was real. They showed it on that Brian Williams 10 PM show last night.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Wow. Pretty sweet..for some reason it looked very fake.

4. hatvol96

I think the angle caused that. The shot last night was from ground level and it was awesome.

5. TennTradition

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yeah, but you were asking us to feel sympathy for her and I expressed the obvious indifference. Plus, the British Empire was dismantled before her time on the throne and she's still rich as hell for doing nothing except get pulled out of the right crotch. So, yeah, if the British want to venerate a useless title to celebrate entitled snobbery, good for them. I can still mock them for it.

Of course, worse still are the Australians and Canadians, who had British-appointed representatives open their Olympic Games. Talk about no dignity.

7. TennTradition

Actually, I said that the British have reasons to be proud of her...unless you're British, I wasn't suggesting for you to do anything. I think that realizing it has been a difficult time for Britain (considering there change in global prominence) might warrant pride in their queen is not akin to asking for sympathy for her from Americans.

As for the British Empire, you may want to check your history. Of the 52 countries that have gained independence from Britain, 41 of them gained their independence under her reign. I would call that the dismantling of the British Empire under her reign.

I really don't care how rich she is. It's pretty irrelevant. Obviously the Brits still like the idea of having a queen and are willing to pay for her and her family. Therefore, I don't have a problem with her being a highlight of their celebration of the games. If she is highlighted in their celebration, I'd imagine our programming would cover it. I don't get the angst.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Roger Bannister not lighting the torch is almost as big of a disgrace of people continually asking Muhammad Ali to show up at public events like this. Please, just stop. Please.

9. CardinalVol

Also, you know it's the Olympics when you sit there getting ****ed at the archery final because we didn't win gold.

10. Unimane

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. You know it's the Olympics when you yell out "****!" for an archery event. Stupid Italians.

11. Unimane

The British Empire was a shell of itself by the time she got there and the key colonial possessions were gone by the start of her reign. Anyway, the British monarchy still sucks and I will continue to mock it.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I love volleyball

13. CardinalVol

Badminton odds not our strongest sport.

14. hatvol96

A friend of mine in South Florida knows Jeffrey Loria and David Samson pretty well. After they drug Ali out there for the opening of Marlins Park, I told him it would be my inclination to kick the hell out of them if they are ever within striking distance.

15. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Drop the WNBA for WVL.

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Yes. Make it happen, America

17. Unimane

Did anybody watch the boxing on CNBC? The American middleweight was losing going into the last round and dropped the boxer from Armenia twice in the last ten seconds to win the fight. Wicked awesome.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Twas spectacular. USA.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

'merica

20. CardinalVol

Not gonna lie. Still ****ed about archery.