Olympics Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by CardinalVol, Jul 27, 2012.

1. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

fuming over archery.... once every 4 years...

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He hit a 10 by about 1/4 of an inch, if that much.

3. CardinalVol

My anger how now moved on to our awfulness in table tennis. One American male made the qualifying round, and he got swept 4-0. Didn't even make the round of 128, and got swept. That is unacceptable.

4. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

I watched Ariel Hsing16(usa) ranked 130world take #3world player from china to the ropes... lost eventually, but fun to watch.

5. CardinalVol

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

proof positive children can't do anything right.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

They play tonight. Either 5 or 6 pm CST

8. dknash

dknash Chieftain

This is year zero for those kids. Only in four years can we begin to assess their status.

9. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The only way my primetime viewing would be ruined would be if that worthless Olympic bullshit were to bleed over and interrupt Hell's Kitchen or baseball. As long as the garbage is confined to NBC, I'm good.

10. hatvol96

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The garbage of tape delay or the Olympics in general?

12. hatvol96

The Olympics in general. I don't ever give a **** about 99% of the sports being contested. Therefore, I'm not going to pretend I give a flying shit once every four years because NBC tells me I should.

13. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Yup. Personally, I'd rather win basketball then sweep diving.

14. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I've said this so many times. I posted something like this on tigerdroppings, and I think my exact words were something like "pseudo-sports that no one would ever notice if we didn't throw a giant party for them every four years."

I'll admit I'm in the minority, though.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  15. Unimane

Weren't the Olympics popular before NBC got into the act? I would assume people like to watch the Olympics, which is why they are broadcasting it. I suppose the argument could also be made that people are duped into watching shit like The Bachelorette, but people want that crap, too.

I mean, to each his own, but I consider it the greatest sporting event in the world, along with the World Cup. The magnitude of the Games elevate those obscure sports to a high interest level.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  16. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

In the USA, sure. Around the world, I'd definitely say the World Cup is a lot bigger.

I know we aren't a huge soccer country, but personally, I'd be happier with success in Brazil in 2014 than 2016. In fact, I'd give up our 2016 Olympic program to win a World Cup.

17. CardinalVol

I essentially enjoy international competition, and i just enjoy watching this for the quirkiness of it. I enjoy what you will see on msnbc at 10 am more than the primetime stuff for the most part.

18. Unimane

Yeah, I'd want the World Cup title, too, but the events are both as interesting and intriguing. The World Cup does have es the benefit of sparing us the ridiculous human interest stories of prime time tape delay Olympics when they are 7 time zones away.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Watching the Opening Ceremonies, I can't help but feel being there would be the pinnacle of an athlete's career, just to be there representing your country. Even the guys who've won NBA titles.

I'd also trade the 2016 Olympic program for a World Cup.

The truth is I'm barely a notch above "meh" when it comes to watching the Olympics

20. CardinalVol

Being as that winning the world cup would **** off more people that the Olympics, i top would trade 2016.