Potential Assistants

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by govols182, Jan 27, 2021.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

You and I can't KNOW that there was ever 8 million offered to anyone. It isn't that I want to overpay anyone, it is that hiring someone for 4 million does not indicate how much we were shopping with. I am quite certain that there is not some chasm of 4 million dollar coaches, and coaches who would not accept 8 million dollars to come to UT, and that if you are Pruitt/Huepel quality 4 million will do it but if you are Chadwell who makes less than 2 million, it will require 8 million for you to come here. The argument being put forth is not only that we can't get an 8m guy, but we can't even get a 7m guy for 8m, or a 6m guy for 6 to 8 m... etc. Nope. Only bring in a 2.5(?)m guy for 4m, who super coincidentally coaches at the place the 2m AD just came from.

It is not at all convincing that a serious search with serious money on the table just occurred. It sounds like we went to people making 6.5 to 7 m, offered them 15% raises to come to the dumpster fire, then retreated all the way down to the known commodity from back in Orlando when they said no. And we never even talked to the pool of coaches with Sexton. Is it because Sexton froze us out? Maybe. Maybe we should pay the buyout if that is what it takes to get things right. The only reason not to is because money actually IS an object.

So I don't believe the talk that 8m or any other amount is "just not enough." There are a lot of decisions and gaps that don't support that narrative, that involve not spending money.

2. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

We hired a grifter as an AD and he just hired a member of his crew.

3. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

At the end of the day it's simple for me. It appeared based on Boyd's statement, and based on the hiring of White, that perhaps they were at the point where they would do whatever it took to get a very good coach to Knoxville. Doesn't guarantee success, we all know that, but no more bums being hired. That was clearly not the case. I think somehow UT's booster situation isn't talked about with the likes of Texas and USC, but it absolutely should be. There is not another explanation.

reVOLt and IP like this.
  4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Steele will be DC

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I agree that we don’t know what was really offered.

I also don’t know what it’d take. But I’d bet a 6.7 MM guy would say 8 MM isn’t enough to touch that.

IP likes this.
  6. HCKevinSteele

I don't disagree, but I'll say it again, there should have been a willingness to to reset the market with this hire. Now that they fell as far as Heupel, they should have raised the number until Kiffin said yes. Doesn't even matter what the number is. Tennessee has it.

Edit: Let's say you pay someone whose worth 5 or 6 10m. And you pay big for assistants. So you over spend let's say 50m over 5 years on coach's contracts. Yeah 50m is a lot, but Tennessee has to understand that you have billions on the line. Billions with a B. That's what you're talking about here. It's not just football. The university would be better academically today had this 12 year slump not occurred. It will be better in 10 years if you make the right hire today.

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

White is afraid of Sexton and didn’t consider any of his clients.

8. Ssmiff

Were butch, dooley and pruitt Sextons?

9. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

If this is true, the [uck fay]er should have never been hired... grow a pair and go do your [uck fay]ing job you little [ock sucker cay].

10. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

If I were making 6M and relatively happy, there’s no chance I’d eat shit for 8M. I don’t know many who would.

TennTradition and lylsmorr like this.
  11. InVolNerable

Pruitt is, I believe. Butch was Trace Armstrong when first hired, but he switched to Sexton during his time here. Don’t know about Dooley.

What’s the point you’re trying to make? Sexton represents like 95% of college coaches, so White deciding he’s not a good enough at his job to deal with him is hilariously limiting to the hiring pool.

A-Smith likes this.
  12. HCKevinSteele

And may not contractually be an offense worthy of being fired, but if I'm Randy Boyd right now I'm firing this guy the first day I can.

13. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I’m not getting myself worked up about avoiding Sexton. It has never, ever been a winning partnership for UT.

It’s not like we would have hired one of his ace coaches. We would’ve hired one of his bums...and then we’d have been screwed in every direction in the contract.

Tar Volon and lylsmorr like this.
  14. Ssmiff

Was just asking as i didnt know. If fulmer, kiffin, dooley, butch and pruitt were all sexton, he has been making money off UT for 30 years.

15. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Are we basing the Sexton thing on a Tony B rumor?

16. InVolNerable

My bad then, misinterpreted the tone.

But yeah, he's been fleecing UT for a while. A good AD, one that is making upwards of $2 [uck fay]ing million, should be able to hold his own against him though.

reVOLt likes this.
  17. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

And the fact that every name that leaked wasn’t a Sexton client.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

A. Men.

19. InVolNerable

For sure, but I would just say that if you're being paid top 3 AD money in the country, it's kind of pathetic.

20. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Some possible names floated form VQ

Don't think Steele is here by his own accord. Also said JH was forced to take on Strong at UCF and that was a bad marriage. (I guess there is a scuttle on if Strong was or wasn't forced on him)

Think Lebby or Briles will be OC candidates.

Elarbee for OL a likely choice.

Just hired Kody Burns from Auburn. Maybe.

Maybe Rodney Garner as he is without a job and has SEC experience.