POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Y'all are insane if you don't think the internet has made the world better. And social media is just a tiny subsection of the internet.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Something can make the world better and still have nasty side effects, especially when humanity hasn't caught up emotionally with the technology.

I can argue that nuclear weapons have made the world safer and more dangerous at the same time.

Electricity has greatly improved humanity, but has also endangered it to a high degree through pollution and global warming.

So I think the dark side-effects of the internet are definitely worth talking about.

IP likes this.
  3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Except, you are. Unless you are selectively choosing which posts you actually read in this thread, you have seen me not "carry water for Trump at every instance." I've criticized him on a number of points in this thread in the last week. And I've told you that and even pointed it out to you, via quotes. And you responded to those posts, so I'm not sure how you can say you didn't read them.

That makes you a [uck fay]ing liar. You're saying that I carry water for Trump at every instance, which is untrue. Stating that something untrue is a fact is like, the definition of lying. I get why you're doing it. If you write me off as another mindless Trump fanatic, it makes it easier for you to feel confident standing on your morale/intellectual high ground. After all, Trump supporters are mindless, bigoted fools, right? So your lying serves a purpose, but it is still absolutely lying.

Are you sure you're "quite fine" (lol) with your understanding of a definition of a lie?

IP and I already had a conversation about why republicans might vote him out. It was mostly focused on Senators, but there's no reason it can't apply to members of the House as well. We didn't agree outright on everything, but we didn't disagree about anything mentioned either. Here's what he said on page 1056, which I agree with:

4. fl0at_

What you are talking about is acceptance. What you have agreed with with NYY is not acceptance, but removal.

I accept the bad and the good. He wants the "bad" gone. And you have agreed.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

[uck fay]ing liar.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't agree with removal because I recognize the negatives he pointed out. I log in to twitter every day. I did delete Facebook. but I am not in favor of facebook being removed from existence.

I am in favor of regulation, better moderating, and engaging with users to make them more savvy consumers.

7. fl0at_

I don't know what regulation we add. Or how to moderate. And engaging a user is just going to lead them to believe they're being censored.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

part of the problem is that the companies have failed to acknowledge issues for so long. I am not claiming to have the answers in hand, but we can do better.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

and being a better consumer of new info is a skill that ought to be part of basic curriculum in school.

10. fl0at_

I have a fundamental difference of opinion on this, which is that, education often requires citation. And far too common, citation has come to mean confirmation. And it doesn't matter which "sources" are only allowed for citation, it teaches that if someone has a source, they have confirmation, regardless of the source.

It would be far better to teach people to defend positions logically, than to confirm a position. Citing works in education is one massive exercise in Appeal to Authority fallacy.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

this is exactly what I mean. If i still did things the same way as was expected in high school and undergrad as a grad student or corporate chattel. I can't just blindly cite stuff, I have to explain why it makes sense, why the source is trustworthy, etc. And where the weaknesses are.

12. fl0at_

Ah, ok, I misunderstood.

Yes, I agree that defending a source should be more important than using a source.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

sometimes it isn't even a matter of defending, but just understanding the limitations of what it did or says.

14. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Boy, Marco is gonna have a lot of material to work with in his primary

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

apparently secret service workers were walking down the street to use the bathroom at Obama's place for a time, because that was the nearest option.

16. fl0at_

Money well spent, if you ask me. Let them poop in peace. Job's hard enough.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Thank god for us in this day and age we have publications like People to sort these things out and get to the bottom of Pee Pee-gate.

19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Did they also deny the rumored upper-decking of the Obama bathroom?

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That's gonna be something else if she runs.