Pruitt learning to be a head coach

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Butthole, Sep 24, 2018.

1. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

He got too comfortable in the CEO roll when the circumstances called for more hands on involvement he didn't respond as needed. He also outsourced recruiting evaluation which burned him as well. He ultimately failed to hold himself and staff accountable.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's been the hardest thing I've learned to do since I started my own business

BigOrangeBeech likes this.
  3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Cut was the coach, Fulmer was the salesman. It worked well

4. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I wonder where UT would be right now had Cut returned as the HC. As I understand it, the only thing that torpedoed that deal was him not being able to bring/hire “his guys”, am I correct on that? If so, very foolish and short sighted of the UTAD.

5. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

One thing I’m confident in his ability to recruit. Not necessarily an entire list of blue chippers but his “diamonds in the rough” will be tough players that bought into the culture that’s being built between him and Fitzgerald. He’s as honest as it gets so he can getaway with coaching them hard. I think the offense will be what makes or breaks him

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Well, a lot of "his guys" were here under Fulmer without Cut and sucked ass.

Savage Orange likes this.
  7. Savage Orange

Lulz!! That may say more about Cut than his guys... Cutcliffe is a guy that, while highly regarded for sure, hasn’t really gotten all the credit he deserves for being a helluva coach.

Memtownvol likes this.
  8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

At the time I didn’t want that at all. Looking back, while we probably wouldn’t have gotten where we want, it’s hard to believe we wouldn’t have had a much better decade

9. Savage Orange

That’s fair.

10. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Just not hiring dooley would have put us an immensely better place.

YankeeVol likes this.
  11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

All Hammy had to have done was let him pick his own staff, and he'd been here. That's it. He was ready to come.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That's what she said.

Dalekanium likes this.
  13. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I mean, surely he’d have wanted at least some help fleshing out his staff. Everyone needs a helping hand at some point in that process.

14. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

My greatest regret as a UT fan in the last decade was opposing the prospect of Cutcliffe as HC after Kiffin left, especially in light of the two abject failures we ended up with. What Cut has done at a school that invests nothing at all in football is remarkable. Duke is playing for its best start in 24 years this Saturday.

15. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Cut would have had us in the SECG several times had he been hired after Kiffin. I just dont know how much or if he'd ever been able to beat Bama. We sure would have been more competitive with them the last 6-8 years though.

16. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

No one we could hire then, or could now, would beat Bama with Saban there. I’ve long since written that game off as an automatic L every year until he gets bored and finally hangs it up. I just hope he does it before he runs the streak to 20.

17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

BS. Hugh Freeze managed to do it multiple times.

utvol0427 and NorrisAlan like this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

With cocaine and hookers

BigOrangeBeech and Memtownvol like this.
  19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Freeze really is the only coach with any success against Saban

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

It's pretty mind boggling that goof had the most success against Saban