POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

If there are communists anywhere east of the Mississippi and South of the Ohio they are there

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Apparently erdogan had done this threat with Twitter before, but then twitter refused and told people how to get around turkey's blocks. So twitter went from being more of free speech champions to now the champion of "the law," as musk put it.

tvolsfan likes this.
  3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

He bought Twitter because a free and unrestricted public square was "the single most important issue of our time". It's almost as if it's super easy to talk a big game about government censorship when you're in the US and there is a less than zero chance the government can do anything to you vs actually having to stand for something in countries without the protections and feedings e enjoy. Apple does the exact same thing. Privacy is a basic human right unless you live in China.

But this is one part hilarious as it comes on the heels of his idiotic take on state run media with NPR, PBS, etc. At this point he really has no choice but to label Twitter as Turkish state run media.

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Link? I would like to read about that. I don't know much about Turkey but if they could block Twitter could they not just block the work around? It sounds like Turkey is basically turning into China.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

tvolsfan likes this.
  6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I could be reading this wrong but the threats Erdoğan was making before seemed toothless as he was not the president and the president at the time said he was not going to do the ban. I agree I don't think Musk should have cooperated and should have called his bluff.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Right, and it is the same with China: Google, Apple, and the rest should not be cooperating with censorship for that regime. Or any regime. Free speech is either a right or it is a law. Musk literally said it was a "law." I disagree, I think it is a right.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Friend just spent 2 weeks in Turkey helping his son get hair transplant and said Turkey was incredible. Nicest, cleanest airport he’s been to and traveled the world.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I would really like to see Istanbul some day

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Which airport? It has been awhile but there was nothing special about the Istanbul airport when I was there. It is a great country with many things to see and great food.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

no idea. He said it was spotless.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Was supposed to go to Istanbul, but COVID.

13. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

One of my counselees relocated from Riga to Dubai. She says it is the cleanest city she has ever seen. Everything is pristine.

Lots of places I'd like to visit, just have to be cautious in a few.

zehr27 likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Now the Dubai airport was pristine.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Here's another case with a video worth a watch. This guy appears to be Hispanic if I had to guess. The moral of this story is don't tell the cops you have a wad of cash or consent to a search.

Here's a similar seizure involving a woman at an airport. She looks pretty white to me. Moral of this story is don't let any kind of cop find out you have a bunch of cash.

Even though it cuts across all demographics, I would assume if you plotted police encounters against asset forfeitures, you would find a strong correlation, but that in itself would indicate minorities fall victim to this kind of thing more so than others.

IP likes this.
  18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

On top of the BS seizures it takes years to even go to court to get your money back. It's theft, plain and simple.

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Good grief, that article is a redneck trash handbook.

"He chased away a process server with an expletive-laden tirade and let his dogs loose when he was served with the divorce papers, the affidavit said."

VolDad likes this.