SMU rumored to be offering Mack Brown $4 mil a year

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, Oct 23, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Honestly, he'll be able to help them. There is nowhere to go but up, and as you said he will be able to pull better talent than they've been getting lately.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Poor Phil.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

seems silly to give him an 8 year contract. I'm sure he's kissed enough of the texas hs coaches ass to get some good talent there, but how much gas does he have left in the tank? I guess you hope he goes pseudo figure head at head coach and hires good assistants.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

He is only 63? Wow, thought he was 70 at least. Still, an 8 year contract to a 63 year old is silly.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He interviewed them and advised them to look elsewhere.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He'll go there and help turn them around.

Jimmy Cheek will announce him head coach on The Hill in 2017.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree that 8 years is silly. I guess they think it is more enticing, but I doubt either party plans on this being an 8 year arrangement.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

SMU is more committed to winning that we are.

*sighs*

10. CardinalVol

Contract length for buyout purposes IMO.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not sure if you are joking or not. It sounds dumb, but that seems to be how AD's think...

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

He probably could get a better job than SMU though. probably not that much money.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

btw how does a program that is drawing 20K a game afford to pay a guy $4 mil a year?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Good question. They must have some ultra wealthy boosters.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Will be interesting to see if the sport can continue to support this kind of spending.

16. CardinalVol

Dead serious.

SMU calls him, asks if he's interested, Mack says he wants this totally on his terms. Think Butch's four year deal on steroids because Mack knows how bad SMU wants to be relevant again and this gives him guaranteed total control.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

probably oil guys or something? I imagine they got Erick ****erson and paid for him and all those other guys somehow.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It's really the non revenue sports that football pays for that will start to be cut to the bone. even cal's football program makes a profit well in excess of expenses. It's having the most non revenue sports of almost any other program in the country that is putting the athletic department into debt. Title IX too.

19. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

They can certainly get a better gameday coach, but until they get some players it won't matter. I guess this makes sense. Set the table for somebody else down the road.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Lots of oil money there