Stars don't matter folks are done

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, May 12, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2014/5/12/5696710/nfl-draft-recruits-five-stars-two-stars

4 and 5 star recruits 10 times more likely to be drafted than the rest

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Stats don't lie. Like I've said before, I ran the numbers.

Won't you won't like, droski, is that playing in the SEC makes you more likely to be drafted as well.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Account for the extra teams in the sec compared to the PAC 12 and the difference is minimal if not nonexistent. In particular before the past 2 years.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Even this year it was 3.06 picks per team in the sec and 2.86 in the PAC 12.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

The difference is not very great between the Pac 10 or 12 and the SEC of 12 or 14 when accounting for the difference in number of players, yes. Not even statistically significant.

However, those two both enjoy a statistically significant advantage in drafted players over the rest of the conferences, including the Big 10, Big 12, and ACC.

6. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Yeah, well, the SEC is still way better at football.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am surprised this isn't discussed in mainstream sports coverage. It would sway me if I had a son being recruited nationally to be sure to give extra thought to PAC 12 and SEC schools if he was wanting an NFL career.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

The difference in defensive speed and size is rather large. Offensively the PAC 12 is superior. Sec is better overall of course.

9. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

This year there were so many more than usual PAC and WAC guys taken in early rounds. I think that will come back to bite some teams. Especially ones that took Tackles from WAC schools.

10. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

That's exactly what am getting at in my post on teams regretting taking Tackles from the PAC and WAC.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think it's more a demographic thing than anything else.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Every sec and pac 12 coach (exception possibly being Leach) uses it in recruiting

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

For the life of me I don't know how these lineman from non power conference get drafted so high. Lots of nfl olinemen from the PAC 12, so if you can dominate on the dline it's a good indicator of future success.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

But Demarcus from Boise went in the 2nd round too

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Of course cal is currently 8th in active NFL players and hasn't won shit in forever. Remind me to kill myself.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

ESPN hates everyone.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The guard that plays for the 9ers and the Bitoni guy from Nevada were understandable. They were big nasty mean bastards that just literally whipped people's asses at the los. For everyone of those that have panned out there seems to be 5 flops

18. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Obviously there will be exceptions. Many successful OLs in the League from schools in those conferences. Playing in the SEC as a Tackle is a weekly tryout for the League though. John Theus alone lined up against Dee Ford, Clowney, Vic Beasley, and the many studs at LSU last season.

19. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Ryan Clady is no slouch.

20. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

What's the argument here? Is there an argument?