Tennessee can compete for the division THIS year.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 10, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm waiting on that tricep bruise to heal.

I think either Dallas or Arnett will have a few catches this week

2. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I also hope people notice how important it is to have Poole in there for his pass blocking. He's head and shoulders above Lane and Neal in that dept. That's something else that will be huge Saturday.

3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Could see a lot of two tight sets this week. Downs has been impressive.

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Good post. TE's can play a big part Saturday. Pass blocking and receiving. Id almost take someone out of the route on every passing play to stay in and block.
    Id rather Bray have more time and less receivers, than the other way around.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

These are good points. Given the strength of the individual receivers, we may be better off with more blockers and time.

6. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I think having the TEs block will be imperative, but I really like the idea of having them for short passes. My ideal plan would be for Hunter and/or D Rogers to make a couple of really big yardage plays and spread out UFs D. After that, we keep it short and simple and control the ball. I just don't want our D on the field if they don't have to be.

I know I've agreed with Groves all year that we can compete in a shootout, I just don't want to see it come to fruition with this D just yet. If we keep scoring with 2-3 minute drives, I think our chances shrink.

7. Beechervol

I think we have 2 TEs now that are ready to do both.

8. chavisut

I'm excited to see what Clear can do down the road too.

9. Beechervol

That kid is huge.

10. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

All of my posts in this thread can now be disregarded in view of Hunter's injury. There is simply no way to downplay how important he was to our offense.I am still quite depressed over this.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

It certainly puts things in a different light.

12. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Every time I think about the Hunter injury, I cycle between depression/anger/dejection/self-pity. This has been constant since the first possession Saturday afternoon. Gonna take a while to get over this one.

13. vol_in_ar

vol_in_ar Member

if we beat GA, BAma , LSU and USCe the Florida loss will be less important
    but if Chaney doesn't fix teh running game, we can count on only Buffalo, MTSU, Vandy, and maybe Kentucky

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

With or without a running game, where you really counting on beating Alabama or LSU?

UGA isn't a very good football team.

USCe is bi polar. They can play like national title contenders or play like Vandy.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Hard to imagine us beating USCe. Lattimore and Jeffrey will help them score some points. Their awesome pass rush will really be rough on Bray with zero running game to slow them down.

BearCat204 likes this.
  16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree that Tennessee shouldn't beat USCe but if Garcia is off, which is a 50/50 shot, Tennessee can win by 14+.

17. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Agree about UGA. I don't think a win over them is going to console anyone about the year.

@bama, sce, lsu, @ark will now dictate how we feel about the year.

18. chavisut

Kentucky is worse than Vandy. They're terrible.

[​IMG]

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

But a loss to UGA at this point will cause some gnashing of teeth.

20. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I hope not. The forecast is not good.