Tennessee is in good shape with Austin Nichols

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by volwarrior33, Jun 10, 2012.

1. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

Heard some things yesterday that led me to believe the Vols were out in front. Asked Rob Lewis about it, here's what he said:

"I think Tennessee is in good shape with Nichols. I wouldn't come out and say it quiet that strong but yes I think they've put themselves in good position here. However, if they were that far out in front, and as many times as he's been here, if Nichols liked them that much he could help things tremendously by committing early.

From visiting and talking with him a couple of weeks ago I didn't get the impression that he is ready to do that. With November a long way off and with the kind of programs circling around him I don't think you can be too complacent about Tennessee being that far out in front just yet."

It would be huge if Martin could go ahead and get him signed in November.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Yes, this is fantastic news.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I sometimes think Lewis and Hubbs live in a fantasy world. Why would a kid being courted by college basketball royalty not play the string out, take his visits and have fun this fall?

4. hatvol96

Talked to a coach who knows the Duke staff pretty well and he said they are both surprised and impressed at how Martin is keeping UT right in the fight for Nichols and Hubbs.

5. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Good to hear. I've conditioned myself to expect a "feel good" 2nd place finish, though ('hey we lost, but at least it was to Duke'). With all of the highly rated guys out of TN, this is the class Martin needs to make some noise. Where do we stand with any of the other guys out of Memphis?

6. hatvol96

I'm not very encouraged about their chances with any of the other elite West Tennessee prospects.

7. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

Hubbs, Nichols, and Crawford. Doable in your opinion?

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Very awesome news. Who is Crawford?

9. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

10. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

I spoke with Markel Crawford last week. Florida is going to be tough to beat. He really likes coach donovan. Wears UF clothing quite often.

Talked to Austin last night. Duke is making a big push for him. The best thing about Nichols is that he is getting advice from three people and none of them have an ulterior motive. His dad is a huge UT fan, mom is a Memphis fan, and his coach wants what's best for him. Nichols good friend Stokes is already in knoxville and Stokes will need another friend now that Clear has gone by the wayside. It's going to come down to UT, Duke, and Florida. Oh, and he was wearing a Duke shirt yesterday and has a new UF sticker for his vehicle.

11. hatvol96

I'd be more than a little surprised if UT got Crawford. To be honest, I'd rather see a true big man in that spot. Unless Yemi makes huge strides, UT is on its way to being very thin inside in '13-'14.

12. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

Cuonzo was apparently telling people at the camp in Nashville this week that he was very confident in their ability to land both Nichols and Hubbs.

Nichols sister enrolled at UT this week after apparently being wait listed, but they got things "worked out" at the last minute, not sure how much that will come in to play, but it can't hurt.

13. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

Yeah, that's what I kind of figured.

I think they'll sign 5 anyway though, maybe 4 if they kick Landry to the curb.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is the normal time for wait-listers to gey bumped in, I think.

15. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

Ah, that would make sense with orientation going on around this time. She was set to go to UTC before this week, but I do know that she was admitted this week. People have said they're very close, which could really help us I would think.

16. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

Rob Lewis says Tennessee leads for Nichols and says we're "in good shape" with Hubbs. Both plan on signing in November.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Hopes are up.

18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Go get 'em, Cuonzo.