POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

there are shades of Benghazi hyperbole on this event. you only care because of the politics. we have lost hundreds of soldiers in Afghanistan and they were all tragic. We leave billions in equipment everywhere we go. that's how the military industrial complex gets rich. we've been dismantling and ordering more equipment for 20 years, but now the bill is thrown around like we were going to fly 200 Humvees and 50 M113's home?

This is what leaving looks like. Always has. I can understand not wanting to leave yet but I really think it is naive to think we were going to walk away after picking a 20 year fight like nothing happened.

there were 2500 soldiers left in that huge ass country at the start of the year. Get real.

JayVols likes this.
  2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

"You only care because of the politics". Come on IP. Do better than that. Pretty good to read IP telling another poster their political lean is a factor in their opinion. Lol.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

you skipped all of the points, which is expected.

JayVols likes this.
  4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Certainly less absurd than your right wing talking points.

Who "let" 13 soldiers die? A suicide bomber killing people in a warzone isn't exactly something the president can prevent.

Thousands of citizens aren't stranded. There are a couple hundred Americans, many who may just be residents and not citizens, who were sent 19 notifications since March to leave. Most are Afghan-Americans who stayed with families and waited until the last minute to decide.

The military equipment was left to the Afghan army and they fled, leaving equipment behind. The stuff we had was decommissioned. "Handing over 85 billion worth of equipment" is not true.

I do miss the late night GahLee drive by shots, but, as usual, they seem to be false right wing talking points circulating around, like the stories about dogs and hanging people from helicopters.

JayVols likes this.
  5. Ssmiff

Sorry but when you tell someone else they only care based on politics, it's hard to focus on the rest.

6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Do you think fewer than 13 would have died had we surged troops to defend Kabul in the absence of Afghan forces?

Do you also believe that the US military left behind 85 billion in equipment for the Taliban that they could have just loaded up but didn’t have time. Was the Us military in possession of that equipment?

I will say I would have liked to have seen us have a plan to fly those blackhawks to Uzbekistan (rather than just disable them), assuming that is the route. I know that was how they brought the Chinooks in.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    JayVols and IP like this.
  7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Nice story. Except it didn't happen. He never visited the synagogue. (Let the spin begin)

zehr27 likes this.
  8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He's not wrong. You saying someone only cares because the politics is rich.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

You guys thinking you can shift positions or attention wildly and I won't remember or notice is really something. I guess that is how this country works. 20 year war, and suddenly 85 billion dollars is the sticking point? And mentioned IN THE SAME BREATH as killed servicemen? Amazing.

JayVols likes this.
  10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

20 years of lies and mismanagement in Afghanistan.

it’s not totally on Biden but he just added to the long history of lies and mismanagement on his way out.

either way we’re out now and that’s a big accomplishment, even if we miss handled it on our end out the door. Ending the war in Afghanistan will probably be the high spot for the Biden presidency.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think it could have been the high spot, but I don’t think it will be. I think a lot of people’s perception of how he handled it is not good.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

He could have dressed up like Rambo and taken down the Taliban himself, ensured democracy and freedom in the land for all time, all while playing some fetch the animal carcass game on horseback, and half the country would complain about it.

JayVols likes this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think only about 25% would

JayVols and IP like this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

ya I dunno, I think the Rambo III could be pretty popular

justingroves likes this.
  15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

This is a hell of a mental image

VolDad and IP like this.
  16. Ssmiff

starting talking to them, confused them so much talking about how dates are just prunes. they let down their guard and we droned em all.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Maybe I should have said complained about how he did it - killed them deader and whatnot.

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

They wanted a new life in America. Instead they were killed by the US military

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN)To the United States military, he was an ISIS-K facilitator they feared was involved in a plot to attack Kabul's international airport.

To his family and colleagues at a US nonprofit, 43-year-old Zamarai Ahmadi was an aid worker applying for a US visa to get his family out of Taliban-controlled Afghanistan....

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/14/asia/afghanistan-kabul-drone-strike-questions-intl-dst-hnk/index.html

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Lol, he's mad about that, man.