POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It's a 100% serious question, and I had very little confidence you'd actually answer it. And now here we are.

I'm trying to understand the inconsistency. One of the biggest complaints most people levied against Trump was about his treatment of our "closest" allies. Yet I've heard little concern about Biden's treatment of those same allies in recent situations.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

My answer is that you are making a false equivalency.

JayVols likes this.
  3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

There's no equivalency. There doesn't need to be. Biden hasn't even been in office for a year. This is reminding me a bit of the conversation we had about executive orders and the first 100 days.

I just want consistency. If you don't like Trump [uck fay]ing over allies, you shouldn't like Biden [uck fay]ing over allies. If you speak out about one, you should speak out about the other. Personally, I don't give a shit if France is pissed about what we did with Australia. We got bigger things to worry about. But I also didn't lose my mind over the way in which Trump interacted with our allies.

I was bothered by Biden's treatment of the UK during the Afghanistan withdrawal, but a lot of that was just kind of baked in with my overall displeasure about his withdrawal in general. And I was similarly irritated when Trump withdrew from Syria and [uck fay]ed over the Kurds.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Remind me of the conversation about executive orders. pull up quotes. And also count up the number of executive orders in each administration to date.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't care enough to go dig up past posts. If you want to pretend the conversation didn't happen, that's your prerogative.

Biden had a ton in the beginning of his presidency. You said something like "let's look at it after the first hundred days mark." I asked why it was worth waiting til some arbitrary mark to compare, and multiple people then acted as if that meant I had never heard of looking at a President's first hundred days (as if measuring Executive Orders within that timeframe is some sort of normal practice... [uck fay]ing idiots).

Spoiler alert - he had more after the first 100 days than Trump did within his first 100 days. No surprise you now want to look at a different arbitrary mark. Again, consistency is lacking.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

many of those were rescinding trump's record amount. if biden finishes with more, you are right. if he doesn't, you are wrong.

and you are still a silly billy for acting like the first 100 days was some random metric I made up.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The first 100 days is a standard metric for measuring... just about everything in a presidency.

Biden has 15 EOs due to the coronavirus in his first 100 days. So, including the worst pandemic in 100 years, and one of the most extraordinary events in US history in 100 years, at 100 days, he was only 13 ahead of Trump at this mark.

And he might have to keep going, because of the same problem.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I didn’t act like the first 100 days was some random metric you made up. I acted like applying it to EO’s, specifically, was dumb, arbitrary, and a waste of time. Which it was, as signified by you immediately asking about YTD instead of first 100 days just a few posts earlier.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So he was 13 ahead of Trump, but 2 behind, without Covid, right? Am I tracking?

So he was pretty close to the same as Trump at 100 days? People complained about Trump’s EO numbers. Biden said governing via EO was akin to dictatorship.

No complaints about Biden’s EO’s. No consistency.

10. fl0at_

I believe something like 23 of his EOs are reversals of Trump's EO.

A reversal isn't creation of new law or order. It's the removal of such, but they must be removed in the same manner they were created.

You're the one being inconsistent in allowing that creation and destruction are the same.

JayVols likes this.
  11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Biden held a call with Macron & worked it out.

Isn't it refreshing to see actual diplomacy being used to work out disagreements instead of optics posturing in a failing attempt to show faux toughness, childish name-calling, meritless attacks, etc?

I think it's a really nice change of pace.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

upload_2021-9-23_17-29-39.png

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't really think childish name-calling is necessary, but I also don't think we really need to give much of a [uck fay] if France is upset with us.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Were a lot of Trump's reversal of Obama?

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Quite a few, I believe. Sadly, I foresee this more and more, each President just doing large swathes of destroying what the previous President did.

zehr27 likes this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

6 or 7, and 1 reversal of a Clinton E.O.

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Not saying that we have to bow to France's every whim, but they have been REALLY helpful to the US going back to the beginning of the country.

Plus, my brother is a couple of years away from retiring in Nice, France. He already owns a 2 bedroom apt 3 blocks from The Med. In fact, he's there right now. I'd like good relations between the countries for him & for when I go visit him.

18. fl0at_

I brought information, you brought questions. That creates an uneven conversation.

If you'd like to have an even conversation, please bring information.

19. fl0at_

I know this is a struggle for you, because you don't understand nuance, but removal of a thing is not the same as placing a thing.

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Other people answered so you are not needed.