The Butch Jones Doomsday Clock is now the Jeremy Pruitt Doomsday Clock

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 24, 2016.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's also lost to Memphis and had a 3 game skid against Arkansas.

2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

This would imply that the NCAA is credible.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think rules committed to and compensated for dealing with should be followed, and comparing incarceration to NCAA paper records is wild. I wouldn't expect game results to be overturned based on subsequent ncaa rule changes, and neither would you.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

no, it implies that win/loss records are relevant

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

No, it is not wild, it is consistent. You think there shouldn't be consistency. I disagree.

If a rule gets a game overturned on paper, then removing that rule should absolutely change that result back to what it was on the field. Absolutely.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think you have put forth a false equivalence between athletic competition and a person's existence.

if they move the 3 point line back, you think all games should have their scores and results reconsidered?

7. fl0at_

No, I haven't, it is about consistency.

That's a false equivalence, comparing a previously changed result to a not changed result.

In the case of moving the 3 point line back, the on the field outcome was not changed, so there is no need to review.

In the case of paying players, the on the field outcome WAS changed, and thus there is a cause for review. If the reason the on the field outcome was changed was due to a rule that is removed, then had the rule not existed, the on the field outcome would not have been changed. And should thus be changed back to the on the field outcome.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

but players who were ineligible played for one side. there was a decided advantage. the opponents were limited to only eligible players. the on field result was invalid, that is the whole point.

9. fl0at_

The players were not ineligible the day they played. They were ruled eligible that day.

A rule, later on, not that day, said they were ineligible.

If that rule, is later on, later on, determined to no longer apply, then it should revert back to what was true on game day:

Eligible

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

by this logic, cheating should not ever change a result. everyone should cheat any way they can so long as they only get caught later.

11. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

2017 (8-5) Strength of Schedule 42

L 44-41 Iowa (8-5)
    W 41-14 @Akron (7-7)
    L 17-7 Texas (7-6)
    W 38-31 @ Oklahoma (12-2)
    W 45-0 Kansas (1-11)
    W 31-13 @ Texas Tech (6-7)
    W 14-7 TCU (11-3)
    L 20-16 @ WVU (7-6)
    L 49-42 Ok St (10-3)
    W 23-13 @ Baylor (1-11)
    L 20-19 @ Kansas St (8-5)
    W 21-20 vs Memphis (10-3) Liberty Bowl

Opponents record 88-69

They didn't lose to anyone they should have beaten on paper. They beat two top 5 teams in the country at the time in Oklahoma and TCU. They beat Memphis in the bowl. They almost beat Oklahoma State. You can argue their worst loss was to a 7-6 West Virginia team.

2018 (8-5) Strength of Schedule 35

L 13-3 @ Iowa (9-4)
    L 37-27 vs Oklahoma (12-2)
    W 26-13 vs Akron (4-8)
    L 17-14 @ TCU (7-6)
    W 48-42 @ Oklahoma St (7-6)
    W 30-14 vs WVU (8-4)
    W 40-31 vs Texas Tech (5-7)
    W 27-3 @ Kansas (3-9)
    W 28-14 vs Baylor (7-6)
    L 24-10 @ Texas (10-4)
    W 42-38 vs KSU (5-7)
    L 28-26 vs Washington State (11-2) Alamo Bowl

Opponents record 88-65

Their worst loss was at TCU who finished 7-6. They again beat everyone they should have. Largest margin of defeat was a 14 point loss at Texas.

2019 (7-6) SOS 21

L 18-17 vs Iowa (10-3)
    W 72-20 vs UL Monroe (5-7)
    L 23-21 @ Baylor (11-3)
    W 49-24 vs TCU (5-7)
    W 38-14 @ WVU (5-7)
    W 34-24 @ Texas Tech (4-8)
    L 34-27 vs Oklahoma St (8-5)
    L 42-41 @ Oklahoma (12-2)
    W 23-21 vs Texas (8-5)
    W 41-31 vs Kansas (3-9)
    L 27-17 @ KSU (8-5)
    L 33-9 vs Notre Dame (11-2) Camping World Bowl

Opponents record 90-63

His biggest loss occurs here to Notre Dame by 24 points in the bowl. Worst loss that year was to an 8-5 Kansas State team. Lost to Oklahoma by one point. Beat everyone they should have beaten. Lost to Iowa by 1 point.

2020 5-2 SOS 38

L 31-14 vs Louisiana (7-1)
    W 37-34 @ TCU (3-4)
    W 37-30 vs Oklahoma (5-2)
    W 31-15 vs Texas Tech (3-5)
    L 24-21 @ Oklahoma St (5-1)
    W 52-22 @ Kansas (0-7)
    W 38-31 vs Baylor (1-5)

If they win out and Oklahoma beats OSU he can win the Big 12 this year. Yeah they lost to Louisiana and that's definitely the worst loss he's had at ISU but they are 7-1 so it isn't as bad as it looked at the beginning of the year. Only other loss this year at Oklahoma State by 3 points. Again has beaten Oklahoma. Beats everyone he should.

So please tell me how Matt Campbell wouldn't be at the top of the wish list? Hell if we don't get him I would have expect him to get picked up by Michigan.

12. fl0at_

Not true. You must get caught later (which is the only way, as if you are caught before, you aren't allowed to play), and the rule that made it cheating must always stand.

If the rule that makes it cheating is no longer a rule, then it wasn't cheating, and the overturn should be itself overturned.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

but the other team following the rules of the contest at the time should be penalized for doing so? this seems pretty ridiculous.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Les Miles beat him 3 times. We should call him now.

15. fl0at_

They weren't penalized. The game is played on the field. They lost that game.

16. fl0at_

I would take Les Miles in his prime.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

unless the game rules change to include things off the field, like... oh, right. they already do.

18. fl0at_

The game is played on the field.

Off field rules that reverse an on field outcome, that are themselves reversed, should reverse back to the on the field outcome.

Because games are played on the field.

19. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Should we get Jimbo Fisher? He beat him as well. Shit lets call Gus.

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Would you take an sec title and playoff run in next 2-4 years, which we may have to forfeit in 6 years, or would you take more of what we got now.
    No brainer for me. I may not be here for the forfeit. I want to be entertained and win now.