The OOC scheduling question

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by GoVols, Oct 24, 2012.

1. GoVols

GoVols Member

Simple question - Are these high caliber OOC games hurting us more then they are helping us? Are they helping us get back to our feet or keeping us on the mats?

I understand that Tennessee does not produce enough in-state talent to recruit in state so there is a need for out-of-state recruiting, but are these high caliber games against Notre Dame, Cal, Oregon etc really doing anything but hurting this program at this point? My opinion is that they are. Since 2000, we are 3-7 in these games and have missed 3 bowl games. In two of those seasons, an extra W was all we needed to make a bowl game and get an extra couple weeks of practice in.

You don't need to look far for a great example. Dan Mullen has turned Mississippi State around. A part of the reason is because unlike Ole Miss who is playing Texas, they don't schedule needlessly tough games, afterall they had to play Arkansas, LSU, and Alabama every year.

If you are at the top of the mountain, bring it on, lets go out and play the best. I think it goes without saying that are not at the top of the mountain. We need some easy W's on our schedule more then blowout L's on national television.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Play the best to make yourself better.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Depends what you want to do. Win championships or go 9-3. While it's true that the bcs doesn't reward tough schedules, generally, the top programs, LSU, Bama, USC, play at least one top non conference opponent a year.

4. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

With Dooley they didn't help. Under a better coach they will.

5. Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix Member

Kentucky schedules nothing but cupcakes for this exact reason. That's how they get to a bowl game. We're not Kentucky.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

/

End thread

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Play em. Maybe you don't load your schedule with 4 of them seeing as how you're already playing an SEC schedule, but it's only going to help the program IMO, especially with a competent coaching staff that are building something worthwhile.

8. murrayCod

murrayCod Member

mic drop

9. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

You're welcome to play my Memphis Tigers every year.

#paymeatthiswindow