The Spring Game Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Dick Huffman, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

Well damn. We needed all the help we can get on the d-line. I was hoping he would show up this season. I know we have some help on the way, but I don't think a true freshman will make much of an impact on this team. Sounds like we are in for another long season.

2. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

Just to clarify... not on the defensive line.

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Agreed. Our secondary will be appreciably better than last year.

4. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The incoming private school DLs will be instant quality and depth.

In the future the 2014 class will look more and more like a draft class than recruiting class. Not from the standpoint that we brought in all NFL bound players but we brought in quality players at positions of need.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That everyone wanted. That's why him flopping sucks.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They'll be better this year and really damn good in 2015.

7. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

Compared to the classes we have had in the past few years, I don't doubt it. I still can't believe some of the people we have had to put on the field recently. I remember Allan Carson saying that Dooley and Lance Thompson told him he was at the top of the board when it came to DTs. Not sure if it was true, but given how Dooley recruited, I wouldn't put it past him.

I just don't know if the freshman will be physically ready. I'm sure they won't have much of a choice but to play them though. Hope I'm wrong. We have some major issues with both lines, and the freshman DBs can't get here fast enough.

8. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

This. I thought he was a can't miss prospect at a position we are paper thin at right now.

9. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

We ended up leaving after the circle of life drill midway through the first quarter. My son was fine until DJ scream-into-the-mic started yelling and then all hell broke loose. He calmed down and went to sleep when the band played so we thought we would be ok. The cheering woke him up and then he realized how many people were there and wasn't happy.

The wife took him to the concourse and was going to let me and her cousin watch the game, but a group of obnoxious drunks sat down behind us. I got tired of hearing "oh my god I'm so drunk," every few seconds so we left.

I swear we saw Erik Ainge in the concourse on the way out. If not, then it was his doppleganger.

10. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

I think that Carr is moving to OL between now and fall practice.

11. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

He had 2 plays where he had 3 DLs in is face shortly after the read was made which is not on him. He made one bad throw and looked rattle a couple of times but he has the highest ceiling as a passer IMO and is still very much in the mix.

12. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Would it be surprising if you saw him? He does radio in Knoxville, he was almost certainly there.

13. punkcat

punkcat Member

Tony Robinson was the best QB on the field.

14. Beechervol

He can still fling it.

15. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I think he will be a Jason Hall type player. I think after a couple years he will be a solid DL.

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Please clarify what he was flinging.

I know. Bad taste.

17. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

I hope the guys coming in the summer on defense can provide some play-making ability, if not it may look like 2012 again on defense, based on youth alone. I see a lot of vanilla scheming in our future.

I thought Dobbs looked really good, and Worley was solid. Ferguson, looked like he was just trying to make the big play to impress, but his O-line didn't help him a lot, and like Beecher said, you really can't put that on him.

Our RB situation is going to be fine. Hurd is going to be an All-American here, as long as we build an O-line for him.

Josh Malone is just going to be a beast. Malone, North, and Pearson are going to scare the living daylights out of SEC defensive coordinators.

Our DL is somewhat faster, but that depth worries me going into mid October.

It was a fun day to watch some football, and the weather was damn near perfect.

18. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

I figured he'd be in a media area not roaming around with regular fans.

19. Beechervol

Coming from a no show I ll let that pass.