Third Saturday in October

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by utvol0427, Oct 8, 2022.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

He just can’t help it. Freaking attention whore

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

People calling in to Basilio crying.

5. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I hope we’re back to winning big and doing it for the foreseeable future.

Also hope we never forget what the last 15 years felt like, and never take winning for granted again.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I really wish Eli Gold's pompous ass had to make that call

VolDad and NorrisAlan like this.
  7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I don't care about how excited they get. I care about how they get the narrative across; and that needs passion. John Ward was as calm, cool, and collected as anyone ever, but good lord. The passion with which he spoke and how he told it - you legitimately felt like you were there at the game.

Some pull it off yelling, some pull it off calmly, some are just lucky to string together a few phrases that can pass for cogent, or - like in Kesling's case - some don't do jack shit except say words out loud.

"... You're a miracle. Your calls have none of that! They're not even exciting accidentally... I-I could tolerate any, any Big 10 game or Jefferson Pilot replay for days. I could sit there and listen to them go on and on with a big smile on my face. They'd say, "How can ya stand it?" And I'd say, "'Cause I've listened to games called by Bob Kesling. I can take anything."

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

It’d be cool if it felt like the voice of the Vols actually gave a damn about the Vols.

VOLinDAWGland, LawVol16, IP and 3 others like this.
  9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I prefer people who’s lips touch each other every now and then when using letters such as B, M, P in a sentence

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No shit, his dad was a teacher/principal at the school for the blind in Knoxville. That's how he learned to keep cool and be descriptive.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think we’re on the same page. I just think some people equate a guy’s head exploding on air with competence. So many people love John Wilkerson and to me he’s just as bad as Kesling.

And guys like Gus Johnson, for me it’s all an act. I want it to be natural

InVolNerable likes this.
  12. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

13. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I do think Gus is natural, he's just an excitable guy. The yelling doesn't come across as fake to me, just tedious because it's for every play above a 3/10.

If he could learn to dial it back a bit and save the gusto for bigger moments, he'd be all time imo.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

As I've said, McGrath kicked it through a guys hands. It would have been good from 60+ otherwise.

InVolNerable likes this.
  15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Wilkerson also sucks

16. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

What if the tip altered the trajectory? I thought McGrath's initial reaction was muted

InVolNerable likes this.
  18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

He may have pulled it and it was deflected back into the goal. In all honesty.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I have a feeling that one day it’s going to be Brian Rice on the radio.

justingroves likes this.
  20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Hit rock bottom with Kesling and then decide to keep digging.

KyleAlexanderfan likes this.